Figuring out which Microcontroller this is

sudohalt

Joined Feb 28, 2013
Hello, attached is a picture of a microcontroller that I am trying to find out the name and model number. It seems as if the branding and model have been purposely burnt off. It is 28 pins, and I was thinking it is from the PIC18 series, but it does not have the semi circle shape at the top of the microcontroller like usual (it does have that circle at the top right). Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If it is a commercial product. It is most likely that the code is protected. So you will not be able to read it out. Hence it does matter much knowing the brand. Anyway, see if you can isolate the power supply pins. What may give you some clue about the brand

sudohalt

Joined Feb 28, 2013
I bought it from someone who took it off themselves, so that no one knows what he is using. All I want to do is extract the code from it by connecting to the correct pins (that is why I want to know the model, so I can see the manual for the chip)

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It sure looks similar to a PIC with pin 1 MCLR, 27 & 28 for data and clock comming off a non-standard 5 pin connector.

If it is a PIC and you connect a PICkit III to it then it will self-identify which PIC it is.

However, if someone went to the trouble to sand off the part then they certainly enabled the code protection. Not gonna read anything useful.