Figuring out a PC monitor's pinout - anyone?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Also, since it was a dog chewing on it I can quite imagine that the cable is not broken just on the apparent places, but it might also be torn somewhere inside the seemingly intact cable as the dog was pulling on the wires.

u2020bullet

Joined Mar 18, 2014
So first, what's a ferrite coil? :)

And no, i wouldn't dare open it, i've opened up a lot of stuff without 0 problems, but i still wouldn't dare open a CRT monitor as i don't think i have enough expertise.

So can someone explain how to check the pins and cables? As in, how do i set my multimeter?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So first, what's a ferrite coil? :)
It looks like a barrel of some kind that the monitor cable passes through. It's typically about two to three times the diameter of the cable and on the order of half and inch to an inch (one to two centimeters) long.

So can someone explain how to check the pins and cables? As in, how do i set my multimeter?
Start by reading through this (and the surrounding material). You don't have to do everything that is there.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_6/chpt_2/2.html

u2020bullet

Joined Mar 18, 2014
Oh i know what you mean. But no, this cable didn't have a ferrite coil, could it be that it was built into the monitor just like the cable?

And it seems like i'll have to take a break from fixing the monitor for a while seeing as how my multimeter has a faulty battery casing (it's an old 90's analog multimeter). So until i manage to get my hands on a different multimeter i ask the administration to not close my thread so i can post in it again.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Threads are never closed unless they violate the rules somehow, so come back when you get a chance.

You can get a multimeter from a number of places for about $10. You get what you pay for, but even these cheapies are probably good enough for the level of work you are doing for quite some time to come.