Fighting a 12F675...

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
I really can't afford another pic programmer, can i get like some schematics and make one? maybe one specifically to use on the 8 pin PICs then use the velleman ones on the ones that are not 8 pin, like on strip board, it would be a bit annoying if i have bought these and i can't use them more than once.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Check out Microchip document AN258. It gives full details including source code and schematics to build the PICKIT1 programmer. It uses a PIC16C745 (best check the Velleman can program it).

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
You should be able to use the 8-pin PIC fine, just always leave the config set to _MCLRE_ON so the pin always works as MCLR. It means you only get 3 to 5 PIC pins left for you to use but the problem will be solved.

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
So other programmers dont use MCLR? i don't see why mirochip would do this, surely to use an i/o you need to be able to experiment with it

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
So other programmers dont use MCLR? i don't see why mirochip would do this, surely to use an i/o you need to be able to experiment with it
This is a vellerman kit problem. The design is quite old, and it support very few Microchip controllers. And cost more than a Pickit 2. It should have been discontinued from marked.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
There is a schematic on page 5, shouldn't be too tricky to build, there aren't many components. It would have been nice for them to put the pin numbers on the PIC and I've noticed they don't show the USB connections, maybe that is in the source code ZIP file.
The source code (including the PC software in Visual Basic) is in:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/an258a.zip
Of course you can just use the precompiled version.

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
So is the PICKIT2 purely ICSD? Does anyone here preferably in the UK have a PIC programmer capable? Can i use the ICSD on the k8048 to program it?

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
You can use it as ICSD or get a ZIF socket and connect it up that way if you want. If your Velleman can't program the PIC, you can send me a blank PIC, the hex file and a return envelope and I'll program it for you. It's probably worth trying on your programmer - if it verifies ok, then it is fine.