Fibonacci Series Generator

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
Hey guys i need to make a "Fibonacci Series Generator "as an end of semester project for my DLD course.Now i know there may be some adders and registers that are going to be used in this project.my electronically knowledge is quite limited so kindly help and explain well.thanks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
End of semester project...

That implies a WHOLE semester full of instruction about subjects that might be of use in this design assignment.

Why is your electrical knowledge so limited if you are 'taking the class'? What other projects have you done in this class? Where are you on the circuit design so far? What software are you using to help you?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
What is DLD course? Democratic league of Dardania?
Anyway, do you at least know how the fibonacci series is done? If you know the process, it is not that hard to translate it into hardware.

mtripoli

Joined Feb 9, 2010
End of semester project...

That implies a WHOLE semester full of instruction about subjects that might be of use in this design assignment.

Why is your electrical knowledge so limited if you are 'taking the class'? What other projects have you done in this class? Where are you on the circuit design so far? What software are you using to help you?
You are dead-on Kermit2... I remember writing this "program" in 7th grade Basic programming class...

@Hasnatsaeed: What is it that you need to do exactly? You say your "electronically knowledge is quite limited". Are you to write a program to do this (please say no as this is so simple you would have never come on a forum like this and ask for help). If it is "electronically" based do you need to do this on a microcontroller with some kind of display? You do realize the numbers "grow" very quickly. How many iterations do you need?

Mike T.

mtripoli

Joined Feb 9, 2010
This post got me thinking... it's easy to do this in a program... No sweat on a micro... but how about doing the entire thing mechanically? Now THAT would be fun... A mechanical calculator to do the computation, and an "arm" or something to "plot" the result. When it got to the "highest number" it would erase the plot and start again...

Mike T.
"Subversive for the sake of subversion"...

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
No i dont have to make any programs for this.I have to implement it in terms of hardware.I am just finished with flip flops and have started registers ..but considering what you people are saying that it needs microcontrollers i think this project is a big No .is it?.I made fibonacci generator program in my programming class and it was not that hard to understand so i thought it'l be easy to do this on hardware level too....plz tell me what kind of electronics needed and whats the best approach for this?and DLD stands for Digital Logic and Design:)

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
i am only supposed to use gates,flip flops,adders,registers etc..no microcontrollers because i haven't studied them yet and i dont think i will be studying them in this semester.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Is the implementation to be done with discrete logic ICs, an FPGA, or a logic simulator on a PC?

e.g. If you are going to physically build it, what do you need to build it with?

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
You can do this without a micro, but you may want to think about the algorithm (program steps) that you would need to have a computer do to solve this problem.

Think about what the Fibonacci series is - each term is the sum of the previous two terms. This should give you some idea of how many registers you will need. You also need to think about what's needed to do this computation - first add the terms, then move things around to prepare for the next step. This will tell you what kinds of connections you need between the registers, and what kind of control you will need.

Other things to think about:
- how will you set the starting condition
- how will you output the answer
- how will you step from one number in the series to the next
- how wide (how many bits in each) are the registers

/mike

mtripoli

Joined Feb 9, 2010
Is the implementation to be done with discrete logic ICs, an FPGA, or a logic simulator on a PC?

e.g. If you are going to physically build it, what do you need to build it with?
I started playing with the mechanical idea. So far I've got an abacus in mind to do the "computations". A series of switches that sense the bead positions and a "pantograph" type arm for moving things...:rolleyes:

Mike T.

Hasnatsaeed

Joined Sep 23, 2010
ok good news ive made the generator:).it was just a game of registers and adders:).now theres a last problem which is that ive used two 4 bit adders to add the two 8 bit numbers.i mean one adder adds the first 4 bits and the other adds the next for bits with carry coming in from the first adder.now the problem is that i want to display this on 7 segment displays.so far ive worked with only one 7 segmet display to display numbers between 0 to 9.ive never used two segments to display 0 to 99 nos but i want to display the series till 99 so how can i connect two 7 segement displays to make this happen?if i add 00000001(1) to 01000000(64), the answer is 01000001 which is 65.. now how can i display 65 on two 7 segment displays?6 on one display and 5 on other display and consequently all numbers between 0 and 99