Few questions about homemade IrDA module

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Gorstak, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Gorstak

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    First of all, I'm not an electrician, I'm a medical student who occasionally grab a soldering iron for some fun. So if I'm asking something really stupid, I'm sorry.
    I found scheme forIR transciever on http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/86/2 and I'm plannig to build it. I was wondering is it ok to rearrange circuit (attached picture, left side) in order to bring photodiode and LED physically close and to reduce wiring, and is there a "wrong and right" way to connect photodiode and LED (I mean does polarity matters and how can I distiguish anode from cathode)
    Thanks everyone :)

2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Physical closeness should be fine, do not let a photo diode see something it should not.

Polarity does matter. Usually marked with a flat side on the diode, a longer lead.... look at the spec sheet. Failing that use a multimeter. Conventional ( as in physics ) current flows from + to - the same direction as the arrow on the diode. The low ohm range should do ( and some have a diode test range ). Slight problem is knowing which lead on the meter is + and which is -. Modern meters are usually + on red, and - on black or common. A second meter can be useful for this. Or use a battery with a current limiting resistor.l

3. Gorstak

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 17, 2010
    In case the polarity of a diode is reversed, will it only break the circuit or is there a risk of damaging the components. The circuit uses 5V lead from motherboard.

4. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    Diode will probably be ok, but will not emit light or give expected response to light.