Fet vs bjt

TheComet

Joined Mar 11, 2013
200^2 x .00005ohms = 2 watts
That's 20 watts, not 2.

Can you please link to me a MOSFET that can conduct 200A and only have an Rds(on) of 0.5 mOhms? The lowest I could find @ 200A is 5 mOhms, which means 200^2*0.005=200W.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/99273.pdf

Considering the fact that you can't blow 200 amps through any single transistor
BJTs are part of IGBTs, which can conduct that much. My point is that for high current applications, the properties of a BJT are far more suited than that of a MOSFET, and that's why hybrid version of the two are used: IGBTs.

The whole point of this argument is that I don't agree with this statement:
but a MOSFET will always beat a bjt at high currents

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
That's 20 watts, not 2.
It is 2 Watts. Time for you to get a new calculator.:D

Can you please link to me a MOSFET that can conduct 200A and only have an Rds(on) of 0.5 mOhms? The lowest I could find @ 200A is 5 mOhms, which means 200^2*0.005=200W.
#12 said:
let's try 4 transistors in parallel
However, he read the datasheet wrong. The part he is referring to has 200 milliohm Rds(on). Here is a nice, high-current MOSFET module.

BJTs are part of IGBTs, which can conduct that much. My point is that for high current applications, the properties of a BJT are far more suited than that of a MOSFET, and that's why hybrid version of the two are used: IGBTs.

The statement you disagreed with fell off.

I've never used IGBTs, so I won't dispute your opinion.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
That's 20 watts, not 2.

It's still less than 360 watts.

Can you please link to me a MOSFET that can conduct 200A and only have an Rds(on) of 0.5 mOhms?

No.

The lowest I could find @ 200A is 5 mOhms, which means 200^2*0.005=200W.

http://ixdev.ixys.com/DataSheet/99273.pdf
This one has an external lead limit of 75A.

10 characters.