FET help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by asoljazworld, May 4, 2013.

1. asoljazworld

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2013
    Dear members
    I am having trouble figuring out the common ground FET that is in this circuit. I know what the tank circuit is doing, but I get stuck at the FET with the capacitor across the source and drain. Could someone please help me to understand what is going at that point in the circuit. Thanks

• bug.jpg
      bug.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    That's not a Fet its a Bipolar npn.

3. asoljazworld

May 4, 2013
    OK,
    So, can someone explain to me what the BJT is doing in this situation?

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    It is acting as an oscillator and is modulated by the AC singal coming from the microphone.

5. asoljazworld

May 4, 2013
    There is no microphone in the circuit, but do you mean the ac sigmal coming from teh antenna. And could you explain to me what the capacitor is for? The one that runs from drain to source?

6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    There is a microphone on the left side of the schematic, called ELECTRET MIC. The capacitor that runs form EMITER to COLLECTOR is part of the oscillator, not sure how is that topology called.

7. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    ITS NOT A FET!!! so stop saying drain to source, its Collector to Emitter.

the audio signal comes from the microphone on the left and is modulated onto the RF signal generated by the NPN transistor, connected as a Colpitts oscillator, to produce an AM signal that is transmitted up the antenna.

Look up Colpitts Oscillator

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  8. asoljazworld

May 4, 2013
    Sorry
    I accidently uploaded the wrong picture from file, please take a look at the one attached

9. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  10. asoljazworld

May 4, 2013
    Ok,
    I am just trying to understand the circuit. The part that I am having a hard time grasping in the FET and why there is a capacitor between the drain and souce. I am just trying to understand its functionality in the ciruit.

Thanks

11. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    The JFET is the active element in a common gate Colpitts oscillator. The capacitor in question provides the positive feedback necessary for oscillation.
    My best guess is that this is a superregenerative receiver.