FET and diode question

ducttape

Joined Nov 10, 2014
The led or general resistance load don't need the diode, because they won't generate
the emf.
Hi there, Thank you for your reply.
Yes that was what I was thinking and the circuit is actually from the actual product schematic. I found that S1D diode is a rectifier. Could that diode be used for filtering purpose?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hi there, Thank you for your reply.
Yes that was what I was thinking and the circuit is actually from the actual product schematic. I found that S1D diode is a rectifier. Could that diode be used for filtering purpose?
What kinds of diode you want to use, that is considering about the frequency, as relay is a low speed active parts, so you can using a 1N4000~4007, it depends on the voltage of relay, I will choosing 1N4007 and I just buy that one, because I don't have to worry about which one is 1n4001 or some others when they mixed together.

When you see a switching mode power supply then you have to using a flywheel diode even don't thinking and just use it.

Go check the datasheets for very kinds of the EE parts is the best way to do.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The diode is important if the load is ever disconnected, as it would be in many real world applications.
If the load is disconnected, the drain is left floating, it's very easy for the drain to be exposed to voltages beyond the device ratings (static electricity, etc) and be destroyed, even with the power off.
This diode clamps the drain to the positive supply rail, providing a safe path for over voltages, and of course inductive spikes too.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Is it a small signal diode, a rectifier diode OR, a Zener diode. Check the part number, find the datasheet and report back. A Zener diode limits the voltage - and would be cathode to Vcc as in your circuit.