Ferrous magnet used as electromagnet core.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by neorules33, Jun 22, 2016.

1. neorules33

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I know hard ferrite (magnets) have less of a pull than ND magnets.

cost not withstanding would a hard ferromagnetic core in an electromagnet allow for an increase of flux when current is passed through the coil (in the correct direction to enhance the field) or would the current have to be so high that the ferromagnetic core would not produce more magnetism than a standard laminated or insulated powdered iron core?

I think I would have to create as much current as originally magnetized the ferrous core or more to increase the magnetic pull.
    The concept I am trying to figure out is can you take a mild magnet and by using it as the core of an electromagnet create a 2 stage magnet.
    High power to draw it to metal and the magnets weaker unpowered state to hold it.

If the current increases the magnetic field (to a reasonable degree) would that in turn overheat the magnet and possibly damage it?

Thanks JC

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    With ferrite or the stronger Alnico, or the even stronger samarium cobalt, temperature is less of a concern
    The SmCo magnets are almost as strong as the neodymium type but very tolerant of high temps.

3. DGElder

Apr 3, 2016
    It depends on the material and magnetization which will produce the incremental permeability of the magnet. But basically I imagine the B field would be roughly the sum of the magnet and the air coil B fields. It would be fun to experiment with different materials and hybrid combinations. The coil may get hot but the magnet is not going to generate heat with an applied DC field.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016