Ferrite cores and glue

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by massive, Jun 4, 2010.

1. massive

Thread Starter Member

May 7, 2010
    Hi,

Can Ferrite cores be repaired if there is a break ??

They have glue at the join normally and admittedly they have a machined surface which is flat as , but surely it cant be the death off it , if it breaks . Its brand new for Godsake .
    Super glue is real fine and has minimal depth , Im hoping this has been done by someone else .

Thanks

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The wee beastie is a goner. I could tell a long tale about spending a couple of hours adjusting X and Y drive currents in a core memory plane to try to get a failed bit working. A core had cracked.

Here is a link - http://www.mag-inc.com/products/ferrite-cores/learn-more-about-ferrites Notice that the gluing they speak of is for attachment, not repair.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    PackratKing and massive like this.
  3. Ghar

Mar 8, 2010
    If you're using it as a choke you'll have reduced performance but it won't be entirely useless.
    What you're doing is adding an air gap (a snap on core obviously already has some rather large ones) and I would imagine you can easily halve the attenuation it provides or even more.
    Just a few days ago I was playing around with a snap on core and a current probe and you could see it working slightly even when entirely open.

massive likes this.
  4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    The ferrite, once impacted, even if it doesn't break, is toast.

The changes that impact shocks have on ferrite cores of ALL types is quite significant. A crack or break can NOT be repaired without substantial change in the ferrite.

Also, once mechanically reconnected, the ferrite will be set into a rapid aging type process. It has started its downward spiral at a much faster rate.