fence gate door lock actuator

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by bimmerrx7, May 2, 2013.

1. bimmerrx7

Thread Starter New Member

May 2, 2013
    I have a 12V volt universal door lock actuator that I want to use in conjunction with my home automation system to open and close a latch on my fence gate. I can send a 12v current to the actuator and control the amount of time the current is on. My problem is that I need a way to alternate the polarity 12v current to the actuator to move it to the opened and closed position.

I assume there is some type of electronic circuit that can accomplish this, but I'm a novice and not sure how to do it.

Ideas, suggestions, questions are appreciated.
  2. stevemcd

Mar 8, 2013
    Do you want to press a button once to actuaute open and the next press actuate lock (that is "toggle") or do you want some other effect?

Is it to be a manaul switch type operation or driven by a controller of some kind?
  3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Many simple actuators use a spring to pull in one direction and the actuator action to pop the other direction. As in most engineered things, the complexity can be in the circuit or in a cleverly designed (and built) latch mechanism.
  4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    What kind of actuator is it..link/picture
    Is it a maintained type? send a pulse of one polarity to lock, send another pulse opposite polarity to unlock,much like a car door lock.
    bimmerrx7 likes this.
  5. bimmerrx7

Thread Starter New Member

May 2, 2013

No manual operation other than a manual override through my home automation system. I'm using Active Home Pro by X10. The actuator will move to the locked position when my alarm is armed and vice versa. I have a module that can generate a 12 v current when AHP sends the command.

I'm using a simple automotive universal door lock actuator found on eBay. An electric motor moves the actuator rod out under current and in when the current is reversed. Constant power is not needed to maintain either position.

I'm open to another type of actuator if any of you have suggestions.