Female sounding posters get more/faster/kinder responses.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tracecom, Jul 1, 2012.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
  2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    You could put a picture of a woman as your avatar. Your user name doesn't seem gender specific.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Now that you mentioned it I'm thinking of building her it. :D

It only works until someone hears your voice, then you get beat up.
  4. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    I might try it. And I could change the look of my posts.
  5. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    I wasn't going to call names, but you know who you are. :)
  6. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    In all forums I have seen the same: replies are more polite, using longer sentences. And never they are told to RTFM of to google it.

They include frequently, "welcome", "hello" and the like.

There was one poster in the Microchip forum that I always suspected was not a female nor a newbie as her (his) posts suggested. BTW, her (his) breadboards were incredibly good and I believe he was a seasoned professional.

I also recall the case of a poster in the EDA forum whose avatar was that of a nice lady. After some time he inserted a warning that it was not his picture.

Simply register again. Gender change is quite common nowadays.
  7. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    That would make some interesting analysis. Where are the psychologists?
  8. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    There's campus189 on the edaboard forum with a pleasant-looking female avatar.
    She signed off many posts with the name Sabrina, but also used another name once in a PM. I've always had a suspicion that 'she' was really a guy named Shawn Doucette.

I think men misrepresent their gender on forums because they believe in the stereotypical nerd response to femininity. I don't think it's effective because people are always a little cautious about such things on the internet, most who would help are not sexist and the unlikelihood of a real life meeting makes the bait less appealing.
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Sounds good, but I've seen what tracecom is talking about. Shoot, I've done it.

There is a core instinct in men to suck up to a pretty woman, even if we aren't sure. Jut can't help ourselves. Maybe she has a sister in the area!
  10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I had a roommate in my barracks room who played WOW all the time. He used a female character and dudes would just give him rupees and bronze shield of mordors when he asked for them. I found incredibly surprising and sad. Poor guys, fallen for an animated ladyboy.
  11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    In my martial arts class I saw more than one young man nailed by a pretty smile, followed by a jab.
  12. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I was practicing a technique with a lovely gal where we'd take control by grasping the gi in the chest area. She indicated a couple of times that I was grasping more than the gi. She got to pay me back though, dislocating my finger with a front kick during a sparring round.

Personally though, I don't think that 'more/faster/kinder' responses imply usefull responses. Boys say the damndest things when a girl enters the room.
  13. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    there are gender neutral handles such as tokachichi,

which in japanese has no intelligible meaning.

It depends what you choose at the time you want to be up for registration.

But- be like it, or don't do it.

If you put two different languages, like tengaruru - chackpow.

Mostly it would be obvious from your projects or professional pictures, what gender you are.

It's good advice to look up user names before using them!
    For instance http://bing.com
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  14. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Given the extreme scarcity of female usernames in this forum compared to the typical (low but significant) percentage of females in engineering classes I would expect the opposite is true; that there are more females here than the men realise but they don't advertise being female.

As for the post being more helpful, well you have to expect that. Men, even chauvinistic ones still like to be nice to the weaker sex.
  15. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I certainly don't find it surprising that many/most men will be kinder/warmer/whatever to someone they think of as a female. I don't know how much of this due to men wanting to make a good impression on a female versus the desire to be a bit more welcoming of anyone that is perceived as a rarity in the field so as not to drive them out of the field, versus engrained behaviors that emphasize being on your best behavior around women, children, and priests.

I know that I certainly have the tendency to want to do that, but I think/hope that I'm usually able to keep the level and quality of assistance (or whatever they are looking for) reasonably consistent. Man or woman, I try to write in complete sentences and I'm pretty sure that a few words into a technical post I have forgotten almost everything about who I am talking to because it has become all about the subject (my wife can confirm that!).