Fear of Soldering small components :(

rockrockmcrock

Joined Jan 6, 2012
I'm starting to lose my bottle on this - how difficult is it to hand solder ssop?

I have a project that now simulates fine, and I want to build it - it's a hack module for some existing hardware so I'm space limited and SSOP (~0.5 pitch) is the only real way to go with the chip. I knew it would come to this.....but those damn things look really tiny as I've only ever really worked with DIP. Other components will also need to be surface mount but maybe not quite so small.

So how easy is it to solder SSOP without a solder mask on the board? I reckon the flood and suck technique ;) looks easiest, but tbh I'm really starting to lose my bottle on this and am wondering whether to jack the whole thing in....

rockrockmcrock

Joined Jan 6, 2012
I had the same fear soldering SOT which is not too much different from SOP. My hands can be a bit shaky and my eyesight is not the best. I did fine.

See this thread for some tips.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=79864
Wow cheers, you give me hope! Every small outline footprint below standard SOIC I've seen has been hand soldered using a solder mask on the PCB - not in that thread! Also looks like flood and suck is not the way to go without a solder mask.

Seriously big thanks mate - good to know that someone else has done it OK before I go out and make a tit of myself :D

antonv

Joined Nov 27, 2012
SOT and SOP have a pitch twice that of SSOP....

Good lighting and good magnification is a must. I have successfully soldered TSSOP microcontrollers using an iron with a fine tip, without solder mask. Adding additional flux to the IC/pc board before soldering helps the solder to behave.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
These always take me 2 minutes or so, more difficult than TQFP44.

PCB adapter is different to PCB using IC layout- the pads are really very small.

It can help to add so-called "solder thieves" to the PCB, means additional pads on each side or often just one side.

Normally a Chisel tip or broad tip would be better than a point tip. I prefer desoldering pump, what remains I can pull off with the tip + applying flux is essential for TSSOP ICs.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I have my students desolder the components from a junk board. For my class they just need to do through hole, but every so often I get one that solders the SMDs back on. To quickly strip a junk board you can use a heat gun and just shake the components off. Try to solder those back,and if you fail at first, it's just a junk board :D

rockrockmcrock

Joined Jan 6, 2012
Awwww - and there was me getting confident....ah well

It can help to add so-called "solder thieves" to the PCB, means additional pads on each side or often just one side.

Normally a Chisel tip or broad tip would be better than a point tip. I prefer desoldering pump, what remains I can pull off with the tip + applying flux is essential for TSSOP ICs.
Yeah - flood and suck looked logical and the easiest way forward, although I need to invest in a smaller solder pump as my current one could probably eat a SSOP IC if I mistimed the 'bang!' :D I can't see why this technique shouldn't work on a bare board too.

Solder thieves....I'll google that as I'm not sure I can visualise what you mean, thanks.

Are there any issues etching the tracks and pads this fine? I'm thinking I'm going to have to be very careful not to let the etch time overrun.

To quickly strip a junk board you can use a heat gun and just shake the components off. Try to solder those back,and if you fail at first, it's just a junk board :D
That is a cracking idea...why didn't I think of that? I need to go hunting in my junk box!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
SOT and SOP have a pitch twice that of SSOP....

Good lighting and good magnification is a must. I have successfully soldered TSSOP microcontrollers using an iron with a fine tip, without solder mask. Adding additional flux to the IC/pc board before soldering helps the solder to behave.
Oh sorry th op has ssop. Need to adjust my prescription.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
For 0.65 and 0.5 mm pitch the only reasonable and quick way is to use liquid flux and drag solder so that all pins are connected, even though they may be bridged, then apply liquid flux again and use solder wick to get rid of the excess solder.