Fear & Loathing in Vegas..!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The syringes weren't around when I was doing it, that came later. It isn't starting the mycellum thats so hard, its after its transfered to the rye medium. If the medium is too wet, them the mold starts and ruins the jar. Its amazing that growing happens by itself in the wild but its so hard to do it in the house. Even under the most sterile conditions you can make.
Thats where the autoclave or pressure cookers comes in. You need to have your medium 3/4 the way full then put dry perlite on top. Sterilize it so no mold can grow or no other contaminants can get into the jar/bag/etc.. The put the syringe in innoc. it and seal it. You'll have 100% success rate. Then once its fully colonized the medium you can take it out and no mold or anything can get in it because its completely colonized. Oh and a makeshift laminar flow hood sure helps. I forgot that one. But yah it requires a bit of sterilizing equipment not to contaminate it. I tried the spore meathod my first try and got 1 out of 10 colonized. Then invested in a hood and autoclaves to make our own syringes and then success rate went from 10% to about 95%. Then just tanks and ultrasonic humidifiers.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Thats where the autoclave or pressure cookers comes in. You need to have your medium 3/4 the way full then put dry perlite on top. Sterilize it so no mold can grow or no other contaminants can get into the jar/bag/etc.. The put the syringe in innoc. it and seal it. You'll have 100% success rate. Then once its fully colonized the medium you can take it out and no mold or anything can get in it because its completely colonized. Oh and a makeshift laminar flow hood sure helps. I forgot that one. But yah it requires a bit of sterilizing equipment not to contaminate it. I tried the spore meathod my first try and got 1 out of 10 colonized. Then invested in a hood and autoclaves to make our own syringes and then success rate went from 10% to about 95%. Then just tanks and ultrasonic humidifiers.
Used a home made hood and a canner pressure cooker, but never hard of the perlite trick. Started the spores on agar in petri dish, no problem. It was after the mycella stared to grow in the canning jars that mold started.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah the dry perlite is a must. I prevents bacterias from getting in it wet and into the medium. My biggest boomer ever found was a cap size 11 inches. Biggest boomer I ever grew was about 4 inchs x 3/4 inch. When you do them indoors you can pick em at the perfect time before the open and drop their spores. Another interesting fact. A cubensis spore is so strong it can survive naked in space and come back and be fertile. Thats why some people think they rode in on an astroid. lol

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
Hunter S. Thompson has got to be one of the funniest writers ever. I remember some years back reading exerpts from "Fear and Loathing" published in Rolling Stone magazine, while on a cross-country flight stateside, and I got to laughing so hard I was lucky not to have been subdued and 'cuffed for handover to the Men in White Coats as soon as we landed.

My sides literally ached, and I had to stop reading to regain my composure every few minutes.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I watched it again last night and I gotta say Benecio del Toro did a much better acting job. J. Depp was just a lil to Deppy. That walks just so familiar with Pirates, Imaginitarim, etc...Where Del Toro gained 60 pounds and totally went out of character.