Favorite perfboard?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I agree with Max, for one-offs, stripboard is the way to go - it saves a lot of wiring and the wiring you have to do is straightforward. Wayneh, if it helps, take a look at post #68 here. If it's hard to see, check out the PDF in post #74.

I've helped a couple of members with very little to no experience make a circuit using stripboards, so I'm sure you can pick it up in the blink of an eye. I typically use an X-acto to make two cuts about 1/16 or less apart then turn the knife on its side to remove the trace. I always double-check with magnifiers as Max mentioned.

When I discovered how easy it was to make a prototype with stripboard, I was shocked we don't find them much in the U.S. :eek:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
for one-offs, stripboard is the way to go - it saves a lot of wiring, I was shocked we don't find them much in the U.S. :eek:
I agree I have gone through the gamut starting with wire wrap in the 70's :eek:.
I used the Vector products also but soon after I discovered strip board, I believe it was Vero and then they quit making it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veroboard, luckily someone on another site directed me to Futurlec as a source.:cool:
I don't use it much, but there is free CAD programs for developing strip board layouts also.
Max.

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
They used to sell a special countersink drill, but a 1/8" drill bit or slightly smaller in a dremel or even in a hand chuck is a breeze to clear a trace, what I do after everything is soldered, is run a box cutter blade down the insulated division between all traces just to ensure no 'whiskers' are left causing shorts.
A magnifying lamp also helps to spot any uncut traces.
For One-offs I would not use anything else.
Max.
I cut all traces manually beforehand with just a drill bit.

Then I start the wiring and finally the components.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Wow, I can't plan my layout that far ahead. I start wiring components and then cut the two edges at the hole with an X-ACTO knife (even though I do own one of those Vero cutting tools).

I have been using Veroboard (stripboard) as long as I can remember.

Here is my latest project:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Wow, that is an ambitious method! :cool:
I would need to use the free CAD to do that!
I usually use the reverse.;)
Whatever works.
Max.
From the beginning I used Corel Draw. Components first and then an additional reverse layer for the cutting.

If this means OCD, I cannot imagine how his circuits will look. I realized that working like that I save time in the end. And works at the first try.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
From the beginning I used Corel Draw. Components first and then an additional reverse layer for the cutting.

If this means OCD, I cannot imagine how his circuits will look. I realized that working like that I save time in the end. And works at the first try.
Like I said, whatever works. ;)
Max.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
That's good to know. I'll switch when I can. I took up LTspice for the first time this week, so surely I can learn to use stripboard. ;)

Not knowing anything about it, it looked like a pain to cut the traces without damaging nearby strips. It must be easy, so what do people use to make the cuts? I've heard knife or Dremel or drill.
I used to use a 1/8" drill bit in a tiny handle, and turn it by hand, took a few seconds per cut.

Then I "chucked" the 1/8" drill bit into a cordless electric screwdriver that turns about 1 rev per second, it cuts a track in about a second with less wrist strain;

http://www.micromark.com/mini-drill-chuck-for-cordless-screwdriver,7852.html
:)

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I can't imagine cutting the traces first, that's hilarious! I draw first (Freehand), and then it's easy to flip to have both sides. The software also supports layers, so I'll have the pads, the components, the wires, and the labels all in different layers I can turn on and off. Very handy. And I've learned to measure the components to be sure they can actually fit the allotted space.

But as OCD as all that might be, I STILL end up making a few tweaks during the build or after a bit of testing. A PCB doesn't always behave exactly as the breadboard did, so adding a resistor here or there might be needed.

On the other hand, cutting the strips first is probably easier and it's probably not too bad to rebridge a strip if you need to.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I can't imagine cutting the traces first, that's hilarious! ...
I only cut traces first when it is really obvious, like between the legs of a DIP IC.

Then I just make the thing totally freehand, designing as I go. That suits my prototyping in hardware where I often change the circuit and try different options as testing progresses.

Most of the time I don't draw a schematic until its finished and tested.

irobot

Joined May 16, 2015
When I discovered how easy it was to make a prototype with stripboard, I was shocked we don't find them much in the U.S. :eek:
Same here . . . . although try this:

Instead of Xacto or the drill bit method, try a Dremel-type rotary tool with a very small engraving bit. It works much faster. Use a slow speed setting. The bit tends to creep around on higher settings. It also makes it possible to cut traces between holes which saves a lot of board space.