faulty gpu motherboard

robert smith

Joined Mar 10, 2015
Hi .. I am new on this forum so I hope this is the right section for my question.. I have just dismantled my faulty gpu and found broken metal clip next to gpu chip ..this is probably the reason why I am not geting any video from the gpu. I assume that this can not be fixed just with the soldering kit bought on ebay :) so could anyone advice ... thank you P1120410.JPG

Joined Nov 30, 2010
1) It is common enough that a circuit board is made with places for parts that are never installed.
2) If you don't know what part goes there, you will probably never find out.
3) No, parts don't come in soldering kits.
4) Being so lucky as to find the real problem just by looking would be amazing.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
First of all, when a component comes off, it's usually still inside the computer. It may be a pain, but if you haven't vacuumed the thing out, try to find the component. That may give a clue as to what happened.

There was a known issue with inadequate soldering on the GPU of (if memory serves) HP laptops a while back. The chip was a ball grid array type, and one or more connections would come loose over time with repeated normal shocks. HP issued a recall, but the replacement period has long since expired. There is advice on the internet as to how the solder might be reflowed, but I wouldn't bother. It was hard enough to do this kind of thing in the lab, where we arguably had some of the best equipment available for such an operation.

If could just be the picture, but do I see discoloration on the board? If the heat sink came loose, the actual chip may have burned out. That would also be an indicator that it's not worth fixing.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
2) If you don't know what part goes there, you will probably never find out.
Agreed. Finding an identical clone GPU to compare to is about the only hope, if you can't find the original part rolling around.

Soldering kit or not, I think you'll have a challenge putting that part back. Skilled folks can do it, but it takes time to become skilled.