"Fatal Error:Could not find device " Error in MSP-FET and MSP430

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
Hello,

I'm using MSP430F5131 and trying to program it by IAR Embedded Workbench while using the MSP-FET debugger.

A short background of the PCB:

After i compiled the code in IAR with not errors found , i connected the MSP-FET to the MSP430 in a Spi-Bi-Wire connection according to the datasheet.

The MSP430 is placed in a PCB which includes 12V input voltage and 2 regulators of 5V and 3.3V . The MSP430 I/O's are connected according to the datasheet (including external pullup resistors and capacitors) along with the Spi-Bi-Wire connections.

I energized the PCB with a 12V supply voltage , connected the MSP-FET's connector to a Header connector on the PCB and the other side connected to the PC by USB.

My problem is :

In the IAR , once i try to download the code into the MSP430 (by clicking the 'Download and Debug' button) it says that it needs a firmware update , so i clicked ok and download the new update , but when it tries to initialize hardware i encounter the error :

"Fatal error: Could not find device (or device not supported)

Session aborted!"

I have tried multiple things in order to find the solution - with no success .

Does the AVcc and AVss needs to be connected even if i dont use any analog options? coz its not connected to anything.

I also tried to download the program to the MSP430 with code composer studio but encounter the same error.

Thanks in advance.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
The last thing you did before it stopped working was to flash the firmware upgrade. If that happened to me I would be looking for a way to reload the old firmware, perhaps on the TI website.

With controllers that I have used with analog functions, the datasheet says that the analog power must be connected while the chip is running. Try it and see if that fixes your problem.

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
From what i know , according to 1.6 connection of unused pins in the Family User's Guide says that :

AVcc needs to be connected to DVcc , AVss needs to be connected to DVss , although the error still ocures even if i dont connect the MSP-FET to the MCU at all

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
I have attached the error file to this post maybe this could help more.

It's new and the LED seems to work the way they should according to the datasheet , i dont know of any other option to check that out.

No nothing works , it just pops the error and i cant program the MCU.

Attachments

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
IAR Embedded Workbench can work with my MCU (i can find my MCU inside the project options)

about the MSP-FET im not sure, from what i know it supposed to support my MCU but ill check again.

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
I think i have found the problem , my PCB includes a regulator the output supposed to supply 1.8V - 3.3V (The MCU 3.3V supplied from that regulator) but when i measured the output voltage the call was : 0.7V so i think thats why CCS cannot find the target device.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Sounds like you have come up with a clue :). Very good!

0.7 volts is what I sometimes get when connecting the power supply pins backwards on a CMOS device. I hope your solution is much simpler.

Omer Dagan

Joined Dec 4, 2016
Ok so the MSP gets the amount of voltage its needed and it seems that every component in the circuits works fine , although i still encounter the same problem , when i try to download the program through either the Code Composer Studio and IAR Embedded , i get the same error message : cant connect to the target device... maybe i havn't connected the the MSP430 to the MSP-FET debugger correctly? how exactly should i connect it to the MSP-FET? should i use resistors?

Error connecting to the target:
Unknown device

Last edited: