Fast Transient Load Step

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nepdeep, Sep 3, 2012.

1. nepdeep

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi,
    I am electrical engineering student. I have a project where I should build the High speed transient load step. The specificaiton is it should work on lower voltage and the transient should be fast. I dont know where and how to begin. Can you tell me what can I study befor I begin and may be the procedure to build the product.
    Thanks in Advance.

2. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    How fast is fast?

3. nepdeep

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    as I said give me basic guidelines, then we will talk about how fast ?

4. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    So if I understand you correctly you want a variable load with fast transition between two load states, right? Apart from the last question, you need to say if the load is for DC or AC signal, as that also changes a lot.
    From what you said so far a relay switching a resistor looks perfect.

5. nepdeep

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
  6. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    Your reference seems to tell the story; what else do you want? Jim Williams was one of the best analog engineers in the world, and you can trust his material to be tested.

7. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    This article has good information on load transient testing. It also includes a circuit for a load transient tester.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa507/snoa507.pdf

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Basic guidelines:
    define, "fast"
    define, "lower voltage"
    decide if you are putting a load on an AC wave or a DC voltage level.
    Now that you have posted an excellent reference, say what part of it is not sufficient for your needs.

9. nepdeep

Thread Starter Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Now I know something....
    Voltage as low as 1 volts
    Current as high as 10 amps..
    fast....response should be stable at most 100nano seconds
    load is a DC load...

one thing...i am second year electronic student...i am not clear about..what is meaning of load working on AC wave or DC voltage level...cause regulator I'm working I suppose is a DC-DC converter..thanks #12 in advance

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    When your needs were completely undefined, you might have been trying to put a load on the power line voltage. That would be an AC wave.

Now that you have defined a DC voltage and want to put a load on that, the math is very different. The link in post#5, circuit 2, will stabilize in about 25 nanoseconds. You have only to change the current from 1 amp to 10 amps by using a different MOSFET.

11. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    The circuit I posted does a 0 - 3A load step in about 20 ns.