Fast frequency to voltage conversion?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Dyslexicbloke, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dyslexicbloke

Thread Starter Active Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Hi folks.
    I have been working on my CHP project ...(http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12943.0.html) and due to the limitations of the PLC that I am using (It was free) I need to build a frequency to voltage interface board.

I would like to convert frequency to voltage, I am currently working with 50 Hz but could change this by modifying the shaft encoder. Assuming the target stays at 50 Hz I will need a 0 -10v signal that represents 40 – 60 Hz ideally, although 0 – 60 Hz would probably work all be it with lower resolution.

I appreciate that a simple integrator looking at the square frequency will work but if I use a cap big enough to limit the ripple to an acceptable level then the system is far to slow.

I probably need some sort of sample and hold circuit looking at each individual pulse width but really don’t know where to start.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

( I have some analogue switch IC’s, bought to multiplex the PLC inputs, if that helps at all. )
    Thanks
    Alistair

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
  3. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm afraid that the LM2907 will also suffer from slow conversion; at 50Hz, a series of filters will be required to get a decent-looking output signal.

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. Dyslexicbloke

Sep 4, 2010
    I have looked at the sheet for the PLL chip and I am sceptical that it will work at 50Hz, to be honest I was a little lost .....
    Any ideas RE building from descrete componants or basic IC's?
    Al

6. Dyslexicbloke

Sep 4, 2010
    I hav found several circuit examples using an analough switch to apply voltage to a cap feeding a voltage follower.
    These seem like a good way to go but I could do with a leg up un respect of timing and how to go about things.
    I would need a sequence of events something like this.

with a square wave of between 10 and 60 Hz ......
    Positive edge > start charging the cap, output should not change.
    Negative edge > sample new value and change output to match.
    Output latched > discharge cap to prime for next cycle.

Am, I correct in assuming that I would actually need 2 sample and hold stages, the first feeding the second, achieve the above.

Do you think that detecting 'current sample = output' would be a good way of determining when to switch to hold and discharge the cap.

The switch IC's I am using will be MC14016BCP.
    The project is as much about learning a new type of componant as it is achieving the desired result.

Any and all comments welcome.
    Thanks
    Al

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Have you looked at this thread : http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=48943

The OP wanted to convert a speedometer signal to voltage then back to frequency. The thread is quite lengthy now, but the gist of it is in the first 6 pages. The OP used the NJM4151 initially, but I think has since changed to one of the very similar alternatives.

John