Fast Food Drive-Thru Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Ahhh, a typical young man that thinks he knows better than the stupid old men that try to guide them..

In all honesty, the quicker you kick that habit, the better off you'll be in life.

Steve

Roen Hayden

Joined Sep 10, 2007
Ahhh, a typical young man that thinks he knows better than the stupid old men that try to guide them..

In all honesty, the quicker you kick that habit, the better off you'll be in life.

Steve
Regardless this has gone off topic; it’s now a question of morality. I just wanted to know if what’s in the video can be done in some way. How is this any different than some of the transmitters on this and other sites? Half of them still valuate the FCC rules.

Xray

Joined Nov 21, 2004
Regardless this has gone off topic; it’s now a question of morality. I just wanted to know if what’s in the video can be done in some way. How is this any different than some of the transmitters on this and other sites? Half of them still valuate the FCC rules.

I think you meant "violate".

Yes, it can be done. Something similar accidentally happened to me many years ago (I won't say HOW many years ago. ;) ). I worked for a TV repair shop, and we used CB radios for communication from the shop to the technicians in the trucks. One day, a candidate who was running for state governor, was giving a campaign speech to a crowd of people across the street from my shop. He had a portable Public Address (P.A.) system set up with a couple of very large speakers. During the speech, I needed to contact one of the technicians on the CB radio. As soon as I pressed the transmit button on the microphone and began to talk, I heard my voice loud and clear blasting from the P.A. speakers across the street! Apparently, the P.A. system picked up and demodulated the R.F. from my transmission. The candidate stopped speaking with a puzzled look on his face, and then turned to his audio technician and apparently asked him what had just happened. The technician shrugged his shoulders and shook his head. Then the candidate continued his speech. I knew at that time I could have some fun with my new-found toy! When the candidate said something that I disagreed with politically, I transmitted the "raspberries" to the crowd, which broke out in laughter. About that time, my boss came into the shop and asked me if I saw what was going on across the street. I said "Yes.... watch this!". I then made some more funny sounds into the CB microphone. My boss immediately grabbed the mic from me and ordered me never to do that again. He was concerned that if the candidate ever did win the Governor race, and if he ever found out where the embarrassing noises came from, my boss's business might get shut down or fined.

What had happened, I stumbled upon accidentally, and that was my first of many experiences with radio transmitters getting into un-intended receivers. If you wanted to do it intentionally, it's quite easy if you know what you are doing. Just keep in mind that intentionally interfering with radio communications is illegal.

MusicTech

Joined Apr 4, 2008
so how is it that o many people get away with it. i mean there must be plenty of people who try this signal modification successfully. YOu never hear on the local news someone getting arrested for illegal radio transmissions. And this is certainly a newsworthy crime, considering the reprocussions of it by potential major business loss in your case, or a large and malicious conspiracy caused by an evil mind apt to radioing. Hwo does anyone in in authroity find out, and even if they find out, how would they find out where it's coming from. I mean, the radioer wouldn't continue to do this for long amounts of times at once due to the risk of getting caught.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Uncle Charlie (the FCC) has pretty amazing resources to zero in on an illegal radio transmission. Truckers did get away (and may still) with using illegal linear amps on their CB radios. But anybody interfering with commercial transmissions will get a visit from some serious people.

Years ago, we came up on a frequency for a data link (I was in the Navy, stationed at Dam Neck, Virginia). That freq was a back-up freq reserved for a shuttle launch down at the Cape. 20 minutes after we started transmitting, a couple of men with a sniffer box were in the building, demanding that the transmitter shut down. I don't know if it was more impressive that they got to us so fast, or that they could sail into a secure building with such ease.

As far as the video mods go, they won't work. A CB's output stage is fairly inefficient at both ends of the CB frequency range. Even with a crystal in that would up the frequency range, the output would be too weenie to notice. 6 meg crystals in toasters? That's not likely, either. About as likely as the hacking video that shows you how to run your tv on a single AA cell.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Years ago, we came up on a frequency for a data link (I was in the Navy, stationed at Dam Neck, Virginia). That freq was a back-up freq reserved for a shuttle launch down at the Cape. 20 minutes after we started transmitting, a couple of men with a sniffer box were in the building, demanding that the transmitter shut down. I don't know if it was more impressive that they got to us so fast, or that they could sail into a secure building with such ease.
That's actually pretty amusing. :D Sounds like an elevated pucker factor day. ;) The CPO had big eyeballs that day, eh? "Deer in the headlights" expression?

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I'm sure the Chief done like many Chiefs before and after him, sat the Petty Officer down and demonstrated his command of some colorful adjectives and probably suggested someone was in a position the Petty Officer thought was impossible. :D

CPO, USCG(ret) sends.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I just wanted to know if what’s in the video can be done in some way.
Yes. It can be done. All you have to do is find the modulation scheme & frequency used, and illegally build or adapt a transmitter to walk over the legal one.

And no, I won't tell you any details. What's more this thread will be locked if anyone else offers specifics. We have a thing called "liability" to deal with. If you have a complaint about my stance on this, feel free to voice it in the feedback forum.

HEY! I'm not that old yet!

flubbo

Joined Apr 21, 2008
I'd say its' a hoax, although some "HAM" could probably build a 2 meter FM transmitter and have fun (if you could call it that)

It did show the Yaesu working at 150 mhz or thereabouts.

If you really want to have real harmless fun with those poor souls, then build a balanced modulator with a little speaker and place your order through it.

Or, sniff helium right before you order. :)

I make it my business to NEVER insult the people who handle my food. That tact diminishes the amount of F.O.D. in my food by an order of magnitude.

All The Best,
: Flubbo.

N2NXZ

Joined Feb 24, 2009
I am late,but a CB radio will not tune to the frequency that video said it would.Ridiculous,but very funny.I feel for those who actually tried it.Here are the fast food frequencies anyhow.
http://www.fordyce.org/scanning/scanning_info/fastfd2.html

And here if you are interested in radio.A CB radio does have a use and can be modified for better uses.
N2NXZ | N2NXZ 10 meter beacon

Yes,ham radio IS interesting.Get your license.
Jim,N2NXZ

It might work. When I was a teenager I had a magnum S6 with an amp behind it. The amplifier had all sorts of signal bleed over problems. And it would hijack the headsets at McDonald's, the PA system at the local Cumbies, and set off the fire alarm at Wendy's.
I ended up selling it because it was such a pain in the ass and I didn't want the fcc on my sh*t.

(Moderator's note: Harsh language obfuscated)

Last edited by a moderator:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Logan Harris

Welcome to the site. If you click on forums instead of entering though a google search you will see topics that are current as of today. The one you responded to was dead for 6 1/2-years.

Status
Not open for further replies.