fascia for circuit board

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by lotusmoon, Jul 6, 2013.

1. lotusmoon

Thread Starter Member

Jun 14, 2013
    I am making an LED flasher and putting the LED's through a "Multibus Board" that is the name on rs components,
    I was wondering if there is some kind of fascia that I could put on the none soldered side of this that would cover all of the holes, and reflect the light forward.
    It would have to be thin enough to push the LED legs through. I was thinking of a paint or a sticky film.
    My concern is that it would be safe and fit in with C E marking

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Could you show a picture of the board?

I've never done anything like that, however I can point you to some techniques used by other folks.

For example, Project: PIC 4-Digit Single-Chip 24 Hour Clock

There the author made a printout of the board he made, then laid it under the components that he soldered in. It requires planning, and drawing of what you are doing, something I do frequently.

Other things you might find of interest is breadboarding techniques.

Prototyping Electronic Circuits

3. lotusmoon

Thread Starter Member

Jun 14, 2013
    There is a picture of one at the bottom of your post - http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=53497
    It may be called strip board as that is what it is referred to there, so I may have got the name wrong. I wanted to cover it on the none soldering side with a reflective sheet. the legs of the LED's would go through the sheet and then through the holes in the strip board. That way what would be seen would be LED's with a reflective sheet behind them rather than LED's with the back of a strip board behind them.
    I was cautious as there could be contact to the legs of the LED's and that the reflective sheet was not a conductor, or flammable or give off fumes if heated.
    I would be giving these to friends and people had been pointing me towards safety regulation. I still have not been able to find out what these regulations are, but I felt to be as safe as possible.

4. tubeguy

Nov 3, 2012
    Instead of putting the fascia under the LED's why not poke the LED's through it from behind ?

Maybe a thin sheet of plastic, and cover it with reflective foil ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I would go at this with a coat of Krylon brand Clear spray paint, then an aluminum looking paint layer. This method requires you to cover the things you don't want painted with masking tape, and be sure to keep a clear circle around each hole that a wire goes through.

lotusmoon likes this.
  6. €Hunter

Jul 6, 2013
    Why don't you make up a wooden box and have a pc of red perspex at the front.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    "perspex" probably means you're in the UK.
    How about posting your location, CHunter?
    That makes it easier for the rest of us to know how to communicate with you.
    (User CP is where you go to post your location.)

8. €Hunter

Jul 6, 2013
    My location is Taiwan actually.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks. ps, what is perspex?

10. €Hunter

Jul 6, 2013
    Perspex they use a lot in the funeral homes.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Wiki: any of various clear acrylic resins, hard transparent sheet, substitute for glass

12. lotusmoon

Thread Starter Member

Jun 14, 2013
    I think i figured it.
    Take one strip board if that is what it's called.
    Take a piece of mirror backed perspex it sometimes called carbon something but it is clear like glass.
    stick the mirror backed perspex to the back of the strip board.
    Take one very fine drill bit.
    use the strip board as a template and drill through all of the holes which you are going to put the LED legs through and out through the mirror perspex.
    Put the LED legs through the mirror and strip board and solder.
    hey presto professional looking mirror backed LED's, hopefully.
    I will send a picture if it works.

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008