farming and gardening ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I am wondering for the US what is the biggest and best farming/gardening store available?

As well as if anybody knows of a website that allows one to type in there location and it shows a list of all possible fruits/vegetables/plants that one can grow in that area of the world?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Seriously what is with this questions? Do you live in the US or not? If you live here how is that you don't know this stuff.

Garden Ridge is big, Home Depot and Lowes all sell gardening supplies. If you are rural then you are bound to have an Agway nearby which would be more for farming and farming supplies.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
The best? Worms Way no competition. We have one local but you can always order. If you do place big orders lemme know and I'll hook you up with my wholesaler for nuits, pumps, medium, HID's, etc..

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
For question 2 goto Farmers Insurance and see what they will insure in you area. For instance being in FL they will insure Strawberries, Citrus, and other local stuff. We just got accepted for peaches since we finally got a good FL peach hybrid. But check there and that will give you a starting point. You could never list every possible seed or plant because your talking billions. I have 75 varieties of poppys. And their all the same species, Unlike most poppy plants are numerous species.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
City slicker decides he wants to take up chicken farming so he buys a plot of land out in the country. He goes into the Agway store and tells the man he'll take 20 chicks. A few weeks later the city slicker comes back for another 20 then later another 20.

The Agway man was very impressed and exclaimed "You most have a heck of a nice chicken farm going there by now"? The city slicker responded, "Not sure. I don't know what the problem is. I don't know if I am planting them too deep or too close together". (cue drum roll, cymbal crash). :)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Get what seeds you can,the truck farms are making too many seedless products.

You don't missthe seeds in your foods,you will if you ever need to grow to keep

alive. Monsantos, I think Mr,Chips has warned you.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Get what seeds you can,the truck farms are making too many seedless products.

You don't missthe seeds in your foods,you will if you ever need to grow to keep

alive. Monsantos, I think Mr,Chips has warned you.
Their also making genetically steril seeds in plants because the strains the universities sell each year are acutally very valuable and they want the farmers to buy the plants small in bulk from the uni's.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Question 1)
So what plays more of a factor in growing a particular veg/fruit is it the weather or the soil ?

Question 2)
If one wanted to have his own animal based farm i.e like diary , chicken , beef ,...etc
Is there a certain major farming / gardening store to buy cattle,chickens ,...etc (or is it just Agway for chickens...)

I am curious how a professional farmer would start a animal based farm.
How much would it cost for a cow , bison , chicken ,...etc and the equipment to maintain them/house them/feed them.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If Mathematics isn't a terrorist, he must be doing a social science experiment, on the intelligence of the general population. Or he is like the boy in a bubble, that never got to experience life beyond the bubble.

@Mathematics, haven't you learned that its rude to ask questions of people and not answer questions from those people?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I don't believe its rude just inquisitive :)
And I don't feel that way I am usually glad to give people answers or information its fun to explain
I am sure most teachers feel that as well

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Question 1)
So what plays more of a factor in growing a particular veg/fruit is it the weather or the soil ?

Question 2)
If one wanted to have his own animal based farm i.e like diary , chicken , beef ,...etc
Is there a certain major farming / gardening store to buy cattle,chickens ,...etc (or is it just Agway for chickens...)

How much would it cost for a cow , bison , chicken ,...etc and the equipment to maintain them/house them/feed them.
You can get my silly cow of a wife for free:p

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Question 1)

Question 2)

Both equally. With out good soil or Fertz your not gonna she jack. Without the right climate same thing.

You would traditionally buy them from a hatchery. Your moneys gonna go into housing, permits, and safety equipment but you really can't answer your question cause all these animals go for different prices. A normal FL Steer may cost you $300 when its a calf, a Kobe Steer from Japan would be priceless and cost hundreds of thousands. Bison are pretty much controlled by the indian res's and Wildlife fund people. Indians are allowed to thin their heards and sell them though. Chickens depends on what type, so fancy chickens like silkies go for a good price, but standard farm chickens are cheap. If you need to find a hatchery just get on any interstate and drive to you smell an overwhelming smell of urine. Then turn right.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Ok so if one wanted his own bison , cow , pig , or chicken farm who would one call for that or what site would one go to?

Basically if a person wants 10 cows , 11 pigs , and 4 bison where would one go or contact ?

As well as is there a standardize price in a particular area for certain animal or are you just buying them from who has them...etc

Question 2
What are the places if any that one can just take cows , bison , horses for free...i.e is there still places like wyoming that have wild horses, cattle ,...etc owned by nobody (i.e free for the taking )

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I don't believe its rude just inquisitive :)
And I don't feel that way I am usually glad to give people answers or information its fun to explain
I am sure most teachers feel that as well

You don't believe its rude? In almost everyone of your threads some one asks if you either live or were born in the US, and you never answer. The have asked your age and if your in college, no answer. They ask why you don't Google your questions, no answer.

You ask but never respond. After all this is a electronics forum, and never some question about electronics.?????

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Heres the easy way, call your local agriculture college and they can give you hatchery and breeders you can buy from. Or you can do it easier and just buy em from other farmers like
11 pigs of your choice.
http://boston.craigslist.org/search/gra?srchType=A&zoomToPosting=&query=pig&minAsk=&maxAsk=
10 Cows
http://boston.craigslist.org/search/gra?srchType=A&zoomToPosting=&query=cow&minAsk=&maxAsk=
And a couple Bison and Beefalo in SD
http://sd.craigslist.org/grd/3496047556.html

Or in your area goto the NorthHamton Livestock auction. thats where the big players will be.

As far as free yes contact your local ASPCA and tell them you have room for rescue horses or cows. Your farm will be filled in a couple months in this economy. Horses and live stock are being abandoned all over the place. Although there is minute red tape doing this and you gotta know what your doing. So to do it you may have to intern or volunteer at an established farm or rescue before you get permitted for it.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
You don't believe its rude? In almost everyone of your threads some one asks if you either live or were born in the US, and you never answer. The have asked your age and if your in college, no answer. They ask why you don't Google your questions, no answer.

You ask but never respond. After all this is a electronics forum, and never some question about electronics.?????
He's under no contract to share his personal info. He's been around a while. His location says Mass. so I assume he's in Boston or somewhere close. I would assume his question was not googlable. Sometimes a question is to complex to just google and you need someone to give you advice. Its faster, easier. Also many of the questions I saw like "Were you born in the US?" and "Have you ever left you house" ect... I considered knocks so I didn't think he would respond.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I have also noticed a lot of strange questions from the OP lately. But well most of them have been in the off-topic section. And as I see it. In the off-topic section. We have much more slack. Compared to the technical part of the forum.