Farmer's Almanac seed planting calendar

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Apr 24, 2012.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Is this seed planting calendar B.S., like a horoscope?

The whole thing seems a little fantastical to me, but I've higlighted some things that I consider to be particularly farcey. I really have no clue about planting & growing things, but I'm getting started, and I want to make sure that this is garbage or not. If there's any science behind it, I might follow it, but from my layman's perspective I don't see how there could possibly be any science behind it.

2. RiJoRI

Aug 15, 2007
    I remember reading in one of the FoxFire books that statistically, planting by the signs does not help. Nor does it hurt. The consensus was that those who plant by the signs tend to watch their gardens more closely...

YMMV,
    --Rich

strantor likes this.
  3. JoeFromOzarks

Apr 14, 2010
    One of the best things to do is hang out at your local Farmers Market. No fooling! The local growers will know what's happening. You might find a farmer or two who will adopt you, guide you, push you and most importantly, boost you when things don't grow as expected.

:) joe

strantor likes this.
  4. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    You are totally right.

It doesn't makes sense that on one day everything you plant will rot and the next day everything you plant will grow just nice. (meaning before midnight it will rot, after midnight not, also means if you are living near a timezone border yours may rot and your neighbor's not) hahaha.
    The moons gravity may have some influence, but I can't find reliable research data on this.

Our agriculture obviously doesn't care about moon phases, and it still works.

However, I would ask people who actually grow their own food to find out more about it. like these guys: http://urbanhomestead.org/urban-homestead

5. 1chance

Nov 26, 2011
    While I haven't experienced any planting differences based on the moon phases, I have seen anecdotical results regarding moon phases and weaning success of both livestock (cows) and human babies. I know many cattle farmers (I don't raise cattle) and mothers who pay close attention to this phenomenon. I find reading the Farmer's Almanac to be rather interesting if you don't look on it as absolute fact, but rather use it as a general guide.

6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Its really no good anymore with climate change. Its changed so much from when these standards were written its gonna have to be redone every 2 years. For instance our summer was in Jan this year. For instance we usually have a growing season of 345 days. This year it was 366 days.

7. JoeFromOzarks

Apr 14, 2010
    The local "Farmers Market" grower-fellow reported on the noon news it's time for us Ozarks folks to get the tomato plants in the ground!!

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Ours are still 6ft and producing. :)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Sounds like hocus-pocus to me. The best advice from here is that walking among your crops every day will teach you how to recognize what they want. In a matter of weeks, you will be able to know what they need today. In a few years, you will know how many days they are away from harvest time.

I remember one of my thoughts while looking at corn, "ten more days of full sun and they will be ready". The part about "full sun" is important because the corn plants can't convert energy unless the sun is available. They just kind of "wait" on the cloudy, rainy days.

You can't farm over a wireless connection. You have to be there, in person. All the almanacs that Ben Franklin wrote can't substitute for being there in person.

10. JoeFromOzarks

Apr 14, 2010
    We learn by doing. Only a fool ignores advice from the experienced.

:) joe.

maxpower097 likes this.
  11. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Thanks for listening.

12. JoeFromOzarks

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks for sharing!

My favorite activity is listening to the old folks. I have learned I know very little about anything. My only accomplished ability is learning from the young and old alike.

13. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Books are really good too.

14. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    The one I know seemed to always consider we were not in the right phase...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  15. osx-addict

Feb 9, 2012
    Strantor -- if you need sage gardening advice, checkout TEG.. They've got some talented peeps over there.. albeit a bit different than the ones over here.. :D

strantor likes this.