Faraday's law and Lenz's law

mo2015mo

Joined May 9, 2013
Hello my friends,,,

I am confused about determine the sign of current . Help Me Please,,
Why is my question 1 (as attached fig1) ,, Assume the direction I is positive though it should be is negative by table summarizing (as attached I-table) ??????????
and I have the same problem in Q2..

Help me to get rid of this problem,Please..

Is Vemf <0,, I must CCW??
Is Vemf >0,, I must CW??

Attachments

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Use the Right Hand Rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field when a current flows through the wire.

Then use Lenz's Law. The current induced in the wire must produce a magnetic flux that opposes the inducing magnetic flux. If it didn't you would be able to create a perpetual generator which would violate the laws of thermodynamics.

mo2015mo

Joined May 9, 2013
Use the Right Hand Rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field when a current flows through the wire.

Then use Lenz's Law. The current induced in the wire must produce a magnetic flux that opposes the inducing magnetic flux. If it didn't you would be able to create a perpetual generator which would violate the laws of thermodynamics.
i know that BUT in my problems above reverse the direction of I at the end of soltuion ?? why??
and How i can determine the higher potential end if Not mentioned in the question??

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Maybe this will help you get your mind around it.

Imagine a circular loop of wire in the plane of a piece of paper with a current flowing CW in it. Use a right-hand coordinate system with the z-axis coming out of the paper?

1) What direction is the B field? In to or out of the paper.

2) What is the sign of the B field?

Now imagine that we increase the current so that the B field gets stronger.

3) Is the change in flux positive or negative?

4) Now imagine a second loop of wire sitting on top of the first, but not touching it electrically. What direction would a current have to flow in that loop in order to cancel out the effect of changing the current in the first loop?

Now take away the first loop and let the B field be the result of some source somewhere else and let that source establish the same B field as we did originally and then make the same change to the B field as we did next.

5) Can the second loop tell the difference between these two situations?

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013

Imagine a circular loop of wire in the plane of a piece of paper with a current flowing CW in it. Use a right-hand coordinate system with the z-axis coming out of the paper?

4) Now imagine a second loop of wire sitting on top of the first, but not touching it electrically. What direction would a current have to flow in that loop in order to cancel out the effect of changing the current in the first loop?

Now take away the first loop and let the B field be the result of some source somewhere else and let that source establish the same B field as we did originally and then make the same change to the B field as we did next.

Good example.
I have a question about the sign of the voltage produced in the second loop. Suppose we place a resistor (so we can measure the voltage) at (0,-y). What sign would the voltage be (V12) if point 1 (-x,-y) is to the left of point 2 (x,-y)?

mo2015mo

Joined May 9, 2013

i answered this Q's as the attached fig.

Attachments

mo2015mo

Joined May 9, 2013
Good example.
I have a question about the sign of the voltage produced in the second loop. Suppose we place a resistor (so we can measure the voltage) at (0,-y). What sign would the voltage be (V12) if point 1 (-x,-y) is to the left of point 2 (x,-y)?
V12 is negative because the direction in second loop is CCW

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You are doing the analysis as if the magnetic field in the second case is created solely by the current in the second loop. The point was to assume that the magnetic field was being provided externally in the same way as the original loop did. Since the only way the second loop "knew" the first loop was there was through the magnetic field, then it cannot tell the difference between the two situations.

A change in the original B field will induce a current in the loop that, ideally, counteracts the change in the B field. If the B field increases in intensity, the field created by the second loop is in the opposite direction. But if the B field decreases in intensity, the field created by the second loop is in the same direction.