Fan installation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by ddaddy2420, Dec 17, 2012.

1. ddaddy2420

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi,
    I am wanting to install this fan in the hood of my saltwater tank aquarium to help with some of the heat coming from my lights, only problem is i don't know what i need to run it. The fan says its manufacturer is ebmpapst, made in Hungary. It says on the side - 115V 50Hz 230mA 19W; 115V 60Hz 210mA 18W. Can i simply cut an electrical cord and tie it to the 2 plugins pictured here? I think this is made to mount on a computer door but I am wanting to use it differently, i just don't know how to get electricity to it.

Thanks,
    Dale

• fan.jpg
      fan.jpg
      File size:
      280.7 KB
      Views:
    • fan2.jpg
      fan2.jpg
      File size:
      280.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    You could solder the wires on to the pins and then cover them with shrink sleeving,

However i would strongly recommend using a 12V fan say from an old computer or psu unit, and a small power supply as your coming into contact with water, and thats dangerous!

#12 likes this.
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Yes. Be careful please, especially around saltwater. When you say "tie", I hope you mean solder, or use the proper connectors. You do NOT want the wires coming off.

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    And of course I hope your tank is on a GFCI circuit (or multiple GFCI's)..
    Many run half the equipment on 1 GFCI and half on another so that in the event that one GFCI does trip the other stays going keeping the tank/inhabitants alive..

But as to your original question yes.. Either solder or use wire nuts to a standard 2 prong electrical cord/plug and plug it in.. (not a bad idea to put a 1 Amp fuse/holder inline on the hot lead either)

But again MAKE sure you have a GFCI.. (either built into the main outlet or a powerstrip with GFCI or a GFCI breaker) It will save your life the second any of your submersible equipment (heaters/return pump,etc..) decide to not be so "waterproof" anymore.. It happens quite often..