Fan fixture problem.

buhny

Joined Dec 26, 2013
My Harbor Breeze Ceiling fan has a globe style light attached. It was installed about 6 years ago. The light never did work, but the fan did. And I used it often. It was no problem because I had two other light fixtures in the room which did just fine for me. But a couple of months ago I needed an electrician for another job which I knew would only take a few minutes. Since they charge by the hour I decided to have him check out the light. He didn't begin by checking the switch. But, climbed up and took the fixture apart and worked on it for two hours. Finally, he said he couldn't figure out what the problem was but that he could make it so the fan and light would both be on, instead of one or the other. It is a dual switch. He connected it up; the light came on, then there was a pop. And now nothing works. He said he thinks the capacitor was blown. The light is now sitting on the counter; the fan is still in place, but not working.
Any opinions on what to do next from experts? I don't want to replace the whole fixture. If I order a capacitor, how can I be sure to get the right one? Nothing matches identically. Either the size is slightly different or the numbers are slightly different. It is a five wire capacitor.

Last edited by a moderator:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Probably was not a capacitor. The black object with multiple wires is more likely a controller. Check back where you purchased it (like Home Depot or Lowes) and they may have replacement parts. I've had to fix ceiling fans where the switch was damaged and the only successful replacement I could find was in the stores display of ceiling fan replacement parts.

buhny

Joined Dec 26, 2013
to djsfantasi: I already checked with Lowe's before I went on line. They don't have the parts. That's why I'm not sure what to get. I got the info I posted from Lowe's website. But,it is a black box, and what you say makes sense. But, I'm still not sure of how to choose the part.

to inwo: I don't really know what your message means.

To Both: Thank you for trying to help me.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
When you mentioned numbers not matching I thought you meant "values".

Which would be in xxUF.

I posted a typical 5 wire capacitor.

What I meant is that values are not critical to operation.
Value in uf relates to speed.

Unless it was connected across the line it is difficult to damage. That may very well be what happened.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
To test run a typical ceiling fan. A single capacitor with 2 leads is all you need.

Better than throwing it out.

Are any values on the part?

Should be two windings.

Connect one wire from each winding together and to power.
Connect a capacitor between the other two wires and other power wire to one of them.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Step 1..never use that "electrician" again..
Step 2.. buy a new fan
Just bought a Harbor Breeze "Portes".. its AWESOME.. Got a remote and the DC motor is SO quiet and the "natural breeze" mode is amazing.. $150 out the door..

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
Buy a new fan; they start at $60 on sale, but the premium fans are quieter. You need 2 wall switches to work the light and fan independently. Any regular (non-fancy electronic) ceiling fan can be wired so that both the light and motor are on at the same time, but light bulb failure rate increases in this mode.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Why throw away, what might be a perfectly good fan?:confused:

Most of the things in my home are other peoples garbage.:)