Fan controller for dog cage

Vevang

Joined Aug 9, 2013
Hi.

I have build costume dog cages for my transporter and have one fan in each, but i would like to be able to controll the speed of the fan from very slow to full speed. Anyone that could tell me the best way to do this?

The information on the fans are: 12vdc & 0,38A

Thanks everybody

Mussawar

Joined Oct 17, 2011
Actually you need a variable voltage regulator. Assuming that your fan is 12V Dc and 0.38A. (Not 0,38A) you may try LM317 variable voltage regulator with heat sink. With a variable you can control speed of the fan. You may also use a power transiator as emitter follower with a variable resiater on its base. Gud Luck

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I recommend using a Pwm (pulse width modulated) speed controller. This is different from a linear regulator approach mentioned above (LM317). The Pwm is essentially on or off at any one time so the heat generated by the controller is minimal. I assume you are trying to cool the dogs so you don't want the motor controller to generate more heat as the controller dissipates heat to slow the motor.

Note: countries that use comma as decimal point also use period as units separator between thousands and millions - for example: 123,456,789.00 becomes, 123.456.789,00

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I recommend using a Pwm (pulse width modulated) speed controller.
+1

This is especially relevant if you expect to operate in the 0-50% range often. Voltage control is easy and works in the higher range, but becomes increasingly unreliable as the speeds slow.

You don't have to build one. Just look on e-bay for "PWM motor controller" and you can find one for a few dollars that will meet your specifications. I'd look for one rated to 0.5-1A. It won't cost much more but will be more likely to last.

Vevang

Joined Aug 9, 2013
Tank guys.

Looking for e-bay for PWM motor controller, but can't find one rated 0.5-1A
Can I bother one of you to help me find the right one?

Thank you a bunch.

Vevang

Joined Aug 9, 2013
thanks.

I now know there has been too long since I have done any electronic work so if one of you could guide me to the right one on ebay(am from norway so ebay would be easiest) preferably with fan speed controlled by temperatur. Thanks again