Family Says Man Burned To Death In Sauna When Timer Malfunctions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bertus, Jan 22, 2015.

1. bertus

Thread Starter Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  2. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
  3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    You can cook meat by boiling and even at lower temperatures (e.g., 145°F or 60+°C) without charring. Muscle will turn brown at those temperatures. I don't know about human skin.
    John

4. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Something just doesn't seem right about this story. While I am no sauna guru:

Now I figure a sauna should have an over temperature control system and additionally every sauna I have been in has a large thermometer or temperature indicating device on the wall. So what happened? Did the victim in this case pass out before figuring he should exit the sauna? While I haven't a clue what the proper cooking and browning temperature is for humans I would guess it to be well over 200 degrees F. Can't find it in any cookbooks I have. So did any over temperature protection fail and this guy just failed to exit? There is no mention of a coroner report as to cause of death? Also, that 194 degrees figure is an absolute maximum, most run considerably cooler than that.

Ron

5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Sauna Rule of Thumb #1:
    When you smell boiled ham, get out!

#12 likes this.
  6. Nykolas

Aug 27, 2013
    CSA/UL regulation require a temperature cut-off and timer limit of 30 minutes.
    So the guy fell asleep or past out. The sauna ran out of water, the temperature limit switch did not cut off power and the timer did not work. If the inside of the room was wood, it would have gone off in flames!
    Great maintenance work! E

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I don't think so. Even if there are people stupid enough to not leave when they are on the edge of death, you cant char them with humidity. This guy probably had a circulatory failure and died before the timer clocked out.

Either that or we should all sue a lot of mattress companies because most people die in a bed.

8. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    The article didn't say that his skin was charred... but that his skin looked black... Now, for the sake of argument, can skin color change due to some reaction on a death like this? Perhaps the guy was just "too blue" for the poor girl to tell the difference?
    Or maybe it's time to call Mulder and Scully so they can solve the mystery...

#12 likes this.
  9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It also claims his skin came off and stuck to the bench!

Something is goofy with this story. I'll think it over while I'm in the steam room. Back in a couple hours. ;)

#12 likes this.
  10. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Yeah... I smell an overcooked rat...

#12 likes this.
  11. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Their in it for the money. Their overall appearance in the video is not the least bit convincing to me of being two people who just lost someone they love.

To me they look like two people who lost someone they tolerated and found a potential way to make a pile of money from his demise. :mad:

Now that said saunas don't just have timers they also have temperature limiting systems as well so depending on whether it was a infrared wet type that might top out at around 130 F or a dry type that would be around 180 F thats the realistically highest temps that would be achieved.

Granted either is hot enough to be fatal if given enough time but not anywhere hot enough to cook a person to a crispy brown in only a few hours.

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I agree, their acting was not very good. "We shouldn't have to see that"? Who thinks that way about a loved one?
    It'll be interesting to see what the autopsy reveals.

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The way the headline was written, I don't think the local CBS station believed them either. Otherwise, the fist two words would have been omitted.

Family Says Man Burned To Death In Sauna When Timer Malfunctions

14. cmartinez

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 17, 2007
    Which could also read... "colluded people"... or "bunch of rednecks"... or "attention starved group"...

15. Glenn Holland

Dec 26, 2014
    Reminds me of the old joke about a frog swimming in a pot on a stove.

If you very gradually turn the heat up, the frog won't try to jump out until it's too late!!!