falling/rising edges for a wide voltage range

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by sadiq_bokhari, May 15, 2015.

1. sadiq_bokhari

Thread Starter New Member

May 8, 2015
    I need a circuitry to detect the falling and rising edges of voltage signals [square waves, probably PWM signals] ranging between 0.5V - 40V at a resolution of maybe 10us (10 micro seconds)
    the data(voltage amplitude and on/off times) are to be fed to a micro-controller (probably from the Atmel Xmega family)

any guidelines about where i should start looking to design such a board ?
    p.s. i guess its gonna be something like the circuitry of an oscilloscope

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Is the gain adjustable, or does it have to work with any pulses between 0.5 and 40V without adjustment or gain switching.

Quantizing 40V with a 10bit AD would mean a resolution of 40/1024 = 39mV

3. sadiq_bokhari

May 8, 2015
    for this, i will have to confirm with my instructor

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Do you mean that a given square wave signal is going between a low value of 0.5V and a high value of 40V, or do you mean that your system needs to work today with a square wave that is 0.5V in amplitude and tomorrow with a square wave that is 40V in amplitude?

5. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    Are you trying to measure the slope of the rising and falling edges, or merely detect at what instants the edges occur, or pass a threshold voltage?

6. sadiq_bokhari

May 8, 2015
    I think its going to fluctuate between the values of 0.5V - 40V i mean it could be like 2V or 36V at different times

7. sadiq_bokhari

May 8, 2015
    Its the second one, i have to detect the instants at which they occur

8. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    You might try using a peak detector to establish a reference for your upper level and then a voltage divider to establish the reference level for your comparator.

What is the frequency of this PWM signal? Is that fixed or can that vary, too? If so, over what range?