Fake parts, is this too far?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I need you on my side the next time a VP asks why there was a scrap due to a equipment problem.:D Most of the higher energy machines (1MeV+) are capable of gamma radiation under the right conditions, they are shielded by thick lead plates that handle normal X-rays when in operation but under the right failure modes the software shuts down beam operations (I've seen it a few times) so we don't get cooked as gamma radiation will go through the lead shielding like tissue paper. Then there is the control of highly toxic dopants like Phosphine or Arsine. It's not a nuclear power plant but the potential for harm is real if we lose the control system interfaces but there are usually mechanical fail-safe systems like the big red EMO button that will kill the machine in an instant but still leave potential chemical hazards.
http://www.axcelis.com/sites/default/files/docs/axcelis_safetyconsiderationsimplanter.pdf

Interesting...
Looks like the list of N-type dopants is long. What are the typical P-type dopants?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Interesting...
Looks like the list of N-type dopants is long. What are the typical P-type dopants?
Maybe going off topic but I guess it's about how dangerous chemicals are controlled by computer systems running windows. (they all have a health code of 4 on the NFPA 704 danger scale "Very short exposure could cause death or major residual injury")
BF3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_trifluoride

It's not as toxic as most dopants but it will eat stainless steel like a cookie and reacts violently with air. (moisture) It has a complex plasma structure that can used to extract ions at several mass units like 11 or 49 for typical P-type implants.

This is what we see on the chip when there is a beam control problem. ;)

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You mean nanites, don't you? Do they have nano-magazines to read (Popular Nanoelectronics?)? And, the paper they wipe with -- is it rolled on carbon nanotubes?
Joey, you seem to know a lot about living in the nano-scale. Let me guess, "one pill makes you larger, one pill makes you small..."

Lundwall_Paul

Joined Oct 18, 2011
I know the Military/Aerospace companies have programs and people dedicated to the subject of counterfeit parts. It is a mater of safety for equipment and people.