Fairchild Power Supply Web Designer

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Hello Good Fellas!
OK, So I am fairly new to circuit designing. My last design was a Linear Power Supply for 12V 3A. But it was a very heafty circuit. I want to reduce the size so as to fit in a small portable power device. So I researched and found out about SMPS.

I have no clue how to go about designing a SMPS. I took help of the Fairchild Power Supply Web Designer. Attached is my schematic for 12V 3A.

My Question is how reliable is his design? I was told that simulation circuits are not very reliable. Can I go ahead and make a circuit exactly like in the schematic and expect perfect results?

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Designing an off-line SMPS is not for the faint of heart, even following a web wizard, there are still many pitfalls.

Buy an off the shelf SMPS, unless you are a very experienced hardware designer, the chances of success are slim.
These beasts use high voltages and tend to burst into flames when you make the slightest error.

I have been designing stuff for 35 years- would not venture to try.

The only circumstance where this makes sense is in the context of a high-volume consumer product, where you MUST design one to meet product design specifications, then you hire an expert to do it.

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Yes, we are a small start up venturing into Automation sector. We need this power supply for one of your products. Hence we need to design an SMPS Power supply.
I understand that making an SMPS is not an easy task. But we are up for making it anyways. Because it is the best suit for our product. Can anyone please tell me, if i do convert the above posted schematic into a practical circuit, will I be able to make it work properly?

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
Plus my loads are not very heavy... I have 4 loads:
1. 12V 12mA.
2. 12V 1.2A.
3. 12V 1.2A.
4 3.3V 80mA.

Total current of Max 3A. Voltage = 12V

Shantanu Jagtap

Joined Nov 19, 2016
That is not an option. Its fine if I fail while developing it...at least I will learn through the way!! Thank you for your advise anyways! Appreciate it.