Failure/Reset operation for DC power failure

griffin Dahlberg

Joined Feb 25, 2015
I have a design project in electronics class that asks me to design a failure/reset operation for DC power failure. I have posted the details in a pdf attached to this thread. I am in need of some suggestions,

Thank you all,

Griff

Attachments

griffin Dahlberg

Joined Feb 25, 2015
I have started doing research and I found something similar to the functionality of this design, UPS's were something I found but seemed a bit over my head. We have access to PCB printing as well might I add.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
So what are the essential components of such a circuit?

1.You need to detect that some voltage went below some threshold.
2. When power is reapplied, you need to remember that condition 1 occurred.
3. You need to display the state of the "remember" circuit in 2.
4. You need to provide a method of resetting the "remember" circuit in 2.

griffin Dahlberg

Joined Feb 25, 2015
Alec T,
I was looking up the type of circuit you specified and after discussing this with my professor, he said that it doesn't need to be that complicated, relatively speaking to my electronics knowledge
Mike ML,
Your statements are right on, this is exactly what it needs to do, I was thinking a switch to simulate a power failure and then the second source kicks in, I must have a components list by tomorrow and I am still trying to finalize what should be on that list, Are there any components that you could point me towards to get this started? What would the resistors function be in a circuit such as this? also, This is an intro course so if there is a simple way to do it, this is most likely what I would prefer based on my current knowledge and available information.
Thanks
Griff

griffin Dahlberg

Joined Feb 25, 2015
So what are the essential components of such a circuit?

1.You need to detect that some voltage went below some threshold.
2. When power is reapplied, you need to remember that condition 1 occurred.
3. You need to display the state of the "remember" circuit in 2.
4. You need to provide a method of resetting the "remember" circuit in 2.

I am guessing that I may have to use a relay switch that would trip when power cut in the first circuit, But the failure led should remain illuminated even after the primary power has been turned on, and then a second switch saying that it has been acknowledged must be pressed to reset the led, Tri state diodes may be used as well.
Any thoughts?

griffin Dahlberg

Joined Feb 25, 2015
Google 'latch circuits'.
Check the datasheet of the CD4013 IC.
Alec T,
I was looking up the type of circuit you specified and after discussing this with my professor, he said that it doesn't need to be that complicated, relatively speaking to my electronics knowledge