facetors affecting capacitor price

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vishnu.mec, Aug 8, 2011.

1. vishnu.mec

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    can anyone please tell me what all factors affect a capacitor's price?

2. Robert.Adams

Feb 16, 2010
    There are a lot of factors that affect the price of a capacitor. Here are some basic ones:

Max Voltage: Capacitors can only be charged up to a certain level before breaking down. Larger voltage capacitors cost more.

Capacitance: C=(charge)/Volt. This tells you how much charge the capacitor can hold. Larger capacitance is more expensive.

ESR: Equivalent series resistance. All capacitors have an amount of resistance. This will affect price.

Q: I don't know much about this but it is defined as the reactance of the capacitor over the resistance. (reactance is the imaginary part of impedance). This is closely related to the ESR rating.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Looking at where you live, I would guess that the cost of shipping affects your prices.

adding to post #2, Lower series resistance costs more because lower resistance is a good thing and requires special effort to design and manufacture.

The ratio of capacitance to resistance is labeled as "Q" for mathematics. A pure capacitor has no resistance component, but I think they don't exist. Building capacitors with less and less resistance requires special design and extra effort to build. This increases the price.