FACEBOOK psychologic warfare

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by takao21203, Oct 30, 2014.

1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    THU, 30th Oct

03.02 - Do you know .................
    11.21 - Do you know .................
    18.31 - Do you know .................

i have recently removed all contacts + no longer loggin in / writing posts.

2. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    I gave up using Farcebook years ago. It's too childish.

3. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I only use facebook to keep in touch with people I am normally unable to keep in touch with.

Facebook always asks if you know so-and-so. They just look at the friends lists of your friends (or past friends) and ask if you know any of them.

I prefer LinkedIn for making connections like that, though. It's much more professional.

4. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    i have deleted my account. It was very intrusive. I went through some negative personal experiences and had removed certain contacts. Well, they still kept suggesting me those people and their contacts for friends. I can only imagine what a horrible negative influence this could have on someone in a fragile state of mind. I actually found this dangerous. I think it would lead some people to depression.

5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    I learnt that you can easily arrange things to "disappear" (not permanently). Probably something I will do when my daughter comes back from abroad. I use Skype anyway. Simpler, faster, cheaper and to the point.

In Spanish the permanent question is something like "What are you thinking of?"

Around one year ago Linkedin also surprised me with lot of messages from members that seemed quite similar to the junk in FB. Trivia, stupid comments and the like. Two days ago I received a message telling me that there are 136 requests waiting for my consideration. Let's see how many more up to December 31st.

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    and i thought having my number listed in a phonebook was a problem...

:)

7. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Use the technology of your email system - set certain addresses to "auto-delete" or "send to spam". At that point, it can only be bothersome if you look for it

PackratKing likes this.
  8. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    2 more today so far

9. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    amazes me how so many people expect privacy in any social media. once transactional analysis is initiated, is no longer.

oxford dictionary reference -

The term social refers to a characteristic of living organisms as applied to populations of humans and other animals. It always refers to the interaction of organisms with other organisms and to their collective co-existence, irrespective of whether they are aware of it or not, and irrespective of whether the interaction is voluntary or involuntary.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Oh c'mon. Where else can you find exquisite, mature content like the fine photographic work here that I downloaded from FB last night?

birdchillingsink.jpg

11. susanne

Oct 29, 2014
    Facebook is not that bad. It's just the narcissism that drive most users nuts. It's useful to have a balance between the world of beauty and the world of duty. ;-)

12. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I was freaked out by Facebook when it made a friend recommendation of an acquaintance whom had recently died.

13. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    The real psy ops is when they start manipulating your feed to make you behave in a way they want.

Is all quite interesting and exciting.

14. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    For kids, maybe. I find it neither. Clearly a matter of opinion :).

Sparky49 likes this.
  15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    This thread is like complaining about telemarketers and NOT putting your number on the National Do Not Call list. But, then again, I would have missed the Chillin' Bird if I didn't slow down and look at this car wreck.

Brownout likes this.
  16. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    I mean 'it' being the experimental uses of social media, not the social media itself. Wouldn't/don't touch it myself.

17. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    When used properly (security settings correctly set, only close friends and family added, and so on) Facebook can be a great tool. I use it to keep in touch with a lot of people whom I am very close to but rarely see, and sometimes I even use it on a professional level to contact my coworkers in an emergency. The real issues come when you make everything (all of your posts, information, photos, etc) public, and accept any friend requests that come along. That's just asking for trouble.

18. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I use it to keep up with friends and family. I'm not much for talking on the phone, so this is convenient for me.

DerStrom8 likes this.
  19. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    i made one under my dog's name so i can join some groups and people cant look up my name.

Sinus23 and DerStrom8 like this.
  20. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I don't mind Facebook but just really hate all the drama people put out there .... I hate people saying they want me to be honest but can't handle the truth or don't want to hear it ... I have a Facebook but never on it and I keep getting all my ex-girlfriends and play toy's damn friend requests like I am going to help my Italian and PortaRican old lady go off on me cause they are playing games....