FACEBOOK Crashing down 33%

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So what you guys think. I personally don't see the value in FB other then a datamining site. They've proven the adds don't work to the point their 1% effective verse google adds. What do you think will happen with this thing? How are they gonna make money? There already seeing a user drop since they went public.

monster_catfish

Joined Mar 17, 2011
I personally never did understand the purpose of Facebook and Twitter. To me one of the greatest benefits of the internet is that it affords users a level of anonymity that is generally sufficient to frustrate the schemes of identity thieves and con-men.

Facebook and Twitter both offer users the option of disclosing personal details which can easily be used to triangulate in on the precise identity of any given user, and that, to me, is perilous on many levels. I have never once felt the slightest inclination to open a Facebook page, since the very notion of self-disclosure before a global audience for me holds the appeal of a visit to the dentist for a root-canal

I fail to recognize any benefit for internet users whose identity gets compromised in that way, and I would imagine that the whole concept of unmasking internet users will fall from favor as more and more instances of targeted fraud, facilitated by those two self-disclosure websites, come to light.

Finally, I often wonder why anyone with an even mildly interesting life would feel compelled to acquire numerous internet "friends" of ambiguous character and motivation. That odd idea will remain the biggest head-scratching mystery of all to me.

/rant over

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I Agree completely. I just got on facebook a couple weeks ago checking out my friends daughter to make sure she wasn't doing anything bad. Well he facebook page was atroshis. 14 years old and talking about smoking pot, drinking herself to sleep, skipping school and getting high with her mom,, etc.. I was stunned. This lead me to start researching people from my past. 98% had facebook accounts with proper info in it. The wierdest thing is when I messaged them to friend up or what ever. Almost none were active users.All had left between 2010 and 2011. A couple took a month to reply, but most had just abandoned it. I really think much of its just smoke and mirrors.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have actually found facebook to be a very useful tool. It's a good way to keep in contact with family and friends when you can't see them often, and it has saved my backside on several occasions. However, I've been very careful who I "friend"--I never friend anyone I haven't met or don't know, and even then, I have my privacy settings all the way up. I've got it set to be very secure, and I never use it for things like games or other apps. I find that garbage to be a waste of time and absolutely useless. I did NOT get a facebook account to waste time playing games on it.

Even so, I still have the feeling that facebook is only a passing fad among the young folk. Soon some bigger and "better" social networking site will show up and facebook will go bankrupt. The whole "going public" thing already failed miserably a couple days ago. I'd be surprised if facebook lasts another five years.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Something like Google+?

One knock a lot of investors are saying is Mark Z wore his trademark Hoodie to ring the bell and people wonder just how mature he really is after that. Plus like APPLE they really don't have a future. APPLE has the iphone and ipad but those will be dead and gone in 5 years. Then they effectively a company with nothing to sell. I only see facebook making any money if they start compiling and selling marketing and mailing lists. And if they do that GOOGLE will crush em because they work with the FEDS directly like microsoft.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I always thought FB and G+ was about data mining. I don't mind a little, since it is fundimentally voluntary. I also think it is handy to have a point were your true identity is known, so people can find you. I have friends I left behind in college 35 years ago I would not mind hearing from, for example. This is the only real utility I see with social networking sites. I am not a fan.

Recently a girl I knew as a boy popped up. It was interesting.

I also have relatives in Mass. than I met when I was 3 years old. This was in the 50's. Facebook has been handy for that too.

FB and G+ is somewhere between a blog and email. They would like to be more, and are always pushing their members for more. This is what I really don't like.

Since they are free I expect them to make money from me somehow. This is how it works. I don't expect them to go away because they to fill a necessary nitch in the internet ecology.

Twitter, on the other hand, I really don't get. I try not to use texting on my cell phone, not with the scam all the phone carriers are pulling with it. These folks make obscene amounts of money using what would be considered fraudulant schemes elsewhere. Where else can one side change a contract and still expect the other to pay defaults when they doand you choose not use their service. This strikes me as crimminal in my opinion.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Recently a girl I knew [w]as a boy popped up. It was interesting. who???
I am wondering how FB and google + make profit. is it from advertising alone?
anyhow, whether fb will only lasted for another five years. who cares. he has enough money

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Facebook, I admit, I volunteer too much info. I won't open a g+ account. I think google is poised to step into "big brother" shoes already. I'm not going to make their job any easier. Really a moot point I guess since FB & Google probably already swap my info anyways.

I only use facebook for family and friends (real friends, from real life) so I guess that's why I feel comfortable volunteering info there. My privacy settings are pretty tight and I believe I don't even show up if you search for me - I'll have to verify that.

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Finally, I often wonder why anyone with an even mildly interesting life would feel compelled to acquire numerous internet "friends" of ambiguous character and motivation. That odd idea will remain the biggest head-scratching mystery of all to me.
I also don't get it. However, I seem to notice something. It is not how interesting your life is, but how social you are. I haven't done a survey or anything, but it's clear to me that all my social friends are big into FB, and those that are less social are not.

In my case, I like people very much, but I'm not a social person by nature. I'd rather have a handful of close and real friends. My wife on the other hand, is a social butterfly, and she makes friends with people instantly. She can meet someone in the supermarket checkout line, and next thing you know, they are FB friends. Before facebook existed, these people would have ended up on her email list, and she would have sent them pictures relating to whatever conversational topic they found they had in common. Some of these people have become our close friends, by the way.

This trend seems to apply to everyone I know personally, whether friends, family or coworkers. Highly social people love FB, and those that are less social are likely to look at it as a big waste of time and more trouble than it is worth.

I really don't think it is an issue of good/bad right/wrong or anything like that. It just seems to be human nature extending into this new medium. Time will tell what it all means in the long run. It's not going to go away, but it is likely to evolve into something that lasts for centuries. I suspect that even I will get drawn into some future version of FB. I held out on using cell phones much longer than the average person, but now I can't do without it. Eventually, technology evolves and improves and even the most stubborn people eventually adapt to the norm.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Something like Google+?

One knock a lot of investors are saying is Mark Z wore his trademark Hoodie to ring the bell and people wonder just how mature he really is after that. Plus like APPLE they really don't have a future. APPLE has the iphone and ipad but those will be dead and gone in 5 years. Then they effectively a company with nothing to sell. I only see facebook making any money if they start compiling and selling marketing and mailing lists. And if they do that GOOGLE will crush em because they work with the FEDS directly like microsoft.
I think Google+ was a flop. Never really caught on, and now hardly anyone remembers it :p

I use facebook strictly as a tool. Not a toy. I suppose that's what makes the difference for me.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I use FB to keep up with friends and family. I only have a few FB contacts. I'm not so worried about data mining. My google searches have been mined much much more than anything I've volunterred. Honestly, every time I do a google search, I get solicitations from Amazon for whatever product I was searching.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Apple doesn't have a future???

XD

Really? I'll put a tenner on Apple still being around in 5 years.

XD

LoL.
I think Apple's problem is that they don't try many new things. All they do is try to improve the old stuff. You can only go so far with that attitude. I think Apple will be around in 5 years as long as they start branching out and trying new things.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I think Apple's problem is that they don't try many new things. All they do is try to improve the old stuff. You can only go so far with that attitude. I think Apple will be around in 5 years as long as they start branching out and trying new things.
They had to have tried new stuff at some point because everybody is copying them to this day, inferring that they were first. New samsung phones getting bigger, approaching Ipad size. If people are emulating you, you're doing something right.

What new things do you want to see? Are you referring to the GUI that's looked the same since they introduced the scrolling screen? Well, I suspect they've kept it the same for the same reason windows still has a start button and cars still have a steering wheel - people don't like drastic changes in interface. They get used to something, and when you change it, they complain. Every time facebook makes a subtle change people come out in droves and complain about it.

amilton542

Joined Nov 13, 2010
I don't have the sense of humour or the social attributes to use a FB account. I felt like a bit of an odd-ball on there.

A mobile phone suits me down to the ground, it's all I need. I never quite understood the purpose to a FB friend capacity >1000.

I have heard a rumour, however, in that employers can make a request for your facebook details. I would suspect they want a glance at your true colours.

I'm not sure if this is true, though.