F1100H Oscillator

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
I bought an oscillator: F1100H 40.00000Mhz

I don't know what pins are what... I'm used to 2 pin oscillators, but this one has 4 pins...

I want to use it with a microcontroller, but in the diagram for microcontroller it shows only 2 pin oscillator, so how can I use this one ?

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
Thanks, I looked at the datasheet but I did not see it before, they should write that a little bigger !

Anyways...

How do I connect that to the microcontroller ?

The microcontroller has an CLKIN and a CLKOUT, but the oscillator has only one output... so does that get connect to CLKIN of the microcontroller or the CLKOUT ? and what happens to the other connection of the microcontroller ?

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Thanks, I looked at the datasheet but I did not see it, they should write that a little bigger !

Anyways...

How do I connect that to the microcontroller ?

The microcontroller has an CLKIN and a CLKOUT, but the oscillator has only one output... so does that get connect to CLKIN of the microcontroller of the CLKOUT ? and what happens to the other connection of the microcontroller ?
Generally all you should need to do is connect the output of the oscillator to the CLKIN. If you look at the manufacturer's datasheet for the microcontroller it will tell you the proper method.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I hope that your microcontroller is capable of being clocked at that speed. If not, you will soon have a new paperweight.

Which microcontroller are you working with?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If the 40 megahertz device is too fast for the processor you are using then consider a flip/flop to divide it by 2 and then you will have a 20 Megahertz clock that should work OK.

hgmjr

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Make sure to place the oscillator as near to the processor as you can so that the interconnect line is short. If you are laying out the PC board you would do well to include a ground plane.

hgmjr

CVMichael

Joined Aug 3, 2007
What is a "ground plane" ?

Also, I have another question:

I have only one 20MHz oscillator but I already use it in another board, can I use a 24MHz oscillator with a PIC16F877 ?

I believe the term is Overclocking

So, is it possible to overclock a PIC16F877 to 24MHz ?

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
If you venture into overclocking territory, you are on your own. When the device misbehaves, you will not be able to easily determine if it is because of the overclocking or something simple.

It is always best to operate a device within the manufacturer's guidelines in all respects.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Adding to hgmjr's words of truth and wisdom,

The faster you clock a digital device, the more time it spends in the transition state (ie: linear region). The transition state is where the most heat is generated due to the power dissipation. If you were to attempt such an idea, you must make provisions to carry away the extra heat that will be generated, or the life expectancy of the device will be greatly reduced.

The higher in frequency you go, the more carefully you must plan your circuit board layout.

A "ground plane" is a large area of the circuit board to which electrical ground is connected. It's a common point for sinking current and connecting Vcc/Vdd/Vee bypass capacitors of components. Bypass capacitors help to ensure a noise-free supply to each IC.