F shape extension power lead build

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
Thanks all, and thanks for taking the time to try and find the UK stuff strantor, very kind of you to help like that. Although I guess things across the pond are half a world apart eh.

Ill get looking for some uv safe stuff and also see what I can find out about the extension being uv safe to. That would be a great result as could cut the drum off and be done with it.

The cable blocco linked to was what made me come here with the question, as says its for outdoor use, but didn't mention uv or such.

Have picked up a garage consumer unit though, as per sirch suggestion, although I need to replace the 32amp mcb with a smaller one, like 16amp.

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
Arctic flex ordered, so thanks for the help folks.

Just a couple more quick questions and I'm hopefully done:

1 joining in junction boxes - is there a preferred mounting method, as opposed to cutting the main cable? All my 12v work involves avoiding cutting the cable, ie solder on the spur to a stripped bit of the main cable etc. Is it better to try and avoid cutting, or doesn't it really matter with 240v as much as voltage drop isn't a big deal like on 12v? Didn't know if there some clamp type connectors, rather than cutting and using some sort of screw connector with 2 cables 1 side and 1 cable the other?

2 cable clips - looked everywhere to try and find the mm size clips for the cable, can't find it anywhere. Does anyone know what size clips are needed for 1.5mm flex and 2.5mm flex? As the mm doesn't seem to correlate to the cable csa at all. I think the 1.5mm is something like an 8mm clip?

Thanks for all the help folks, much appreciated.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
In the colonies, the rule is wire nuts because they have springiness. Several wires can be joined with a wire nut but it is illegal to place more than one wire under a screw. I have heard it is illegal for a wire to pass through a junction box without being cut! If you think in those terms, it minimizes the number of junction boxes.

In England, your mileage may vary.

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
Illegal to not cut, bizarre, to me that's better than cutting (provided a good connection for the spur of course). Ill do some reading then, as don't know what a wire nut is. Thanks, #12

Edit: yeah, we don't use them in UK, although the idea is grand, they never took off over here. Cut and screw blocks it is then, o well.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
yeah, we don't use them in UK, although the idea is grand, they never took off over here. Cut and screw blocks it is then, o well.
WHAT? No SO cord, no wire nuts? How do you guys get by? Next I'll learn you don't have beef, liquor, or sex.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You're right. :D Wire nuts and SO cord are as common as beef, liquor, and sex (over here).
I can buy any of those within 3 miles of my house!

Not that I really want to buy beef, sex, or liquor, but they are available.
How you run things in England remains a mystery.:p

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
We ok on the meat front, I can have the pheasants from behind the house, and the booze is in plenty good supply, so just the metal work a mystery. Perhaps our regulatory bodies think its safer if you have to be able to use a screwdriver?

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
A bit of googling indicates that the overall diameter of the 2.5mm artic flex is just over 10mm
Thanks sirch2, for some reason I couldn't find it at all. I even visited screwfix yesterday and asked at the counter, the 2 fellows said that they didn't have a clue and to bring some cable in to test fit.

ill have another look now to see if can find the size for 1.5mm as well, then can hopefully order them and be set.

Thanks sirch2

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
Spot on sirch2, 9 and 11mm it is then, many thanks for posting this, I couldn't find anything myself, web is great when generic search works, or you know where to look, otherwise a black hole time wise.

Many thanks, Upex

Upex

Joined Nov 10, 2013
Went with the arctic cable in the end. Most of its installed now, just a couple more lights to add and the cable for a socket, but came together ok and the consumer unit was definitely a good idea.

Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated.