ez-go golfcart wire

KC8ZTU

Joined Oct 6, 2010
can any one tell me if I have to change anything in my golf cart to switch it from using 6-6v batt. to 3-12v batt. ?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
can any one tell me if I have to change anything in my golf cart to switch it from using 6-6v batt. to 3-12v batt. ?
I agree with Marshall - no worries. The only possible glitch I can think of is if the charging circuit does not simply charge all the batteries in series. I can't imagine that a golf cart would employ individual battery management, which is a fairly sophisticated approach, but it's worth a quick look as a just-in-case.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I know for sure you dont have a worry.

The controller does't know a thing about the physical "current holder" (Batteries)

The speed controller is set for number of cells. There are the same number of cells in six 6v batteries as there are in three 12v batteries.

This is standard practice in the under-seat battery compartment to make room for a 12pack beer cooler ;)

You lose run-time, unless the 12v batteries have twice the AH rating as the original 6v.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
We've got a ton of battery powered equipment in our warehouses and of the ones that use golf cart batteries they're just connected in series into a single 24V pack. Even the huge battery in the one fork lift we have that's electric is made of 18 cells all connected in series.

One thing though - in these type setups it's rather important to keep an eye on the water level of the batteries.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You lose run-time, unless the 12v batteries have twice the AH rating as the original 6v.
Why?

To a first approximation, same number of cells, same AH rating per cell. (I am assuming rating is done the same way and heat dissipation, which might be different in 6X6 vs. 3X12 is not so great as to require double the AH rating.)

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Double may have been a little harsh....
What it really "boils" down to is: they dont use the same cells in the 6v and 12v batteries.

So effective plate surface area and plate thickness are different in each batteries cells.

Thinner in the 12v. That becomes a heating element when the discharge, at a particular setting, is the same for each cell.

You will boil off electrolyte and warp plates.

We went from u2200 to U12VGC. (Both Interstate batteries)

The cells in the u2200 weigh about 20lbs each the cells in the U12vgc weigh around 12lbs each.

Oh.. And DONT use those maintenance free batteries.