Eye Ball's

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Why are our Eye Balls spared Insect bites and other pimple like
bumps.What protects the surface of the eye ball. Don't say eye lids.
We encounter many Insects that can be In the hundreds,than could
get by the eye lids.

Ratch

Joined Mar 20, 2007
loosewire,

[Why are our Eye Balls spared Insect bites and other pimple like
bumps./QUOTE]

Perhaps a better place to post that question is a medical forum. Why is eyeballs capitalized?

Ratch

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Must be a characteristic of the sclera. Perhaps the fact it is so thin precludes its ability to swell to anything substantial like a pimple.

Dave

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Don't say eye lids.
Why exclude one of the best answers? Why do we use lenscovers on cameras? :)

First of all, the eyes can be hurt. It is possible for an insect to bite you in the eye. I know someone who was bit by a spider while she slept. Also, many animals will go for your eyes if they are fighting for their life: cats, birds or prey, rodents etc. Also, do you think your eyes would be spared if an entire wasps nest attacked you?

Basically, the eyes are so critical for survival that there are various protection schemes in place. Eye lids, reflexive aversion, instincts all help. The fact that we can see and feel anything near our eyes allows us to protect ourselves.

Pimples on the eyes are probably rare because getting one would make complications too easy. A pimple on the skin is a protective measure. If contamination is in a skin pore, then the pimple is helping in fighting that. However, if the same thing happened in the eyes, the eyelids wouldn't close correctly, and this would be counterproductive. There are other mechanisms to keep the eye clean and fight off contamination. This gets back those eyelids again. The constant washing with tears and blinking is very effective.

I agree with Ratch that this is not the best place to ask the question, but since you asked in an electronics forum, I don't feel guilty about speculating.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Why exclude one of the best answers? Why do we use lenscovers on cameras? :)

Basically, the eyes are so critical for survival that there are various protection schemes in place. Eye lids, reflexive aversion, instincts all help. The fact that we can see and feel anything near our eyes allows us to protect ourselves.
That's a good point. Occam's Razor anyone?

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Has anyone looked up what a pimple is?

Wikipedia said:
...Inside the pore are sebaceous glands which produce sebum. When the outer layers of skin shed (as they do continuously), the dead skin cells left behind may become 'glued' together by the sebum.
The conjunctiva (+cornea, sclera) does not have sebaceous glands. It is somewhat like asking why don't you have to shave your eyeballs.

John

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
The conjunctiva (+cornea, sclera) does not have sebaceous glands. It is somewhat like asking why don't you have to shave your eyeballs.
:D

I think for the uneducated, of which I am one, a pimple constitutes any locally-raised structure on the the surface of a part of the body.

Factually speaking, John, you are correct of course.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I liked the blood vessels idea. I wonder if the eyeball is cooler than the surrounding skin, or smells bad (or is not right in some other way) to a blood sucker. I suspect gelatin doesn't offer much in the way of nutrition. I was reading an article on MSN that says mosquito's find body odor offensive just like everyone one else. If it weren't for girls maybe we'd have them licked...

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
I was reading an article on MSN that says mosquito's find body odor offensive just like everyone one else.
I just got back Monday night from a five-day backpacking trip in Olympics Nat'l Park. The weather was quite warm, as much as 85 F one day, and not much cooler than that on the other days. Since my hiking buddy and I covered almost 50 miles in that time, and went from about 500 ft to 5000 ft and back down again, we got pretty sweaty. I washed off a couple of times (without soap -- didn't take any), so we probably got plenty ripe during our trip.

We encountered lots of mosquitoes (and at least three kinds of flies), especially in the mornings and evenings, but I don't think I got a single bite. There might be something to Bill's point about mosquitoes being repelled to some extent by BO. In contrast, they seem to be drawn to perfumes and scents, and I've read that some vitamins tend to make you less delectable to them.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Get a check on that from any grunt who spent time in country during the Viet Nam war.

It sure doesn't bother them in Florida.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
Your tears contain salt, which isn't very bacteria friendly, so no pimples. You blink automatically, most flying insects don't go into your mouth either, they don't want to be trapped. Doesn't apply to motorcyclist though, best reason to wear a helmet...

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
How did the spider the bite eye ball when a sleep,must have bitten eyelid.
If I had used another word beside's pimple would have been better off.
But you get the general point I'm trying to make about the surface
of the eye,but If you think about It most of us have encountered metal
specks In our eye's from grinding.What about a boil with pus. Why Is John
alway's right ? Is he a learned Man.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Got a link, Bill?

Dave
Apparently not. Every try to find an article 5 days after you read it on the MSN home page? :rolleyes: I spent an hour or so looking. Did you know there is a site called the wayback machine, that will show you the front page of MSN 6 years ago on a specific date? It's called the wayback machine, but it's cutoff is 6 months. A front page has to be 6 months old before the link shows.

I believe it was the July 4th page on MSN, but that doesn't seem to help none.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Apparently not. Every try to find an article 5 days after you read it on the MSN home page? :rolleyes: I spent an hour or so looking. Did you know there is a site called the wayback machine, that will show you the front page of MSN 6 years ago on a specific date? It's called the wayback machine, but it's cutoff is 6 months. A front page has to be 6 months old before the link shows.

I believe it was the July 4th page on MSN, but that doesn't seem to help none.
Thanks for trying, anyway.

Dave