Extremely Basic Question about Switches

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Tickers, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tickers

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I'm wiring a shifter for a bike engined car, and I need to generate signals to go to both the ECU and the shifter unit. There are two switches: one for up and one for down.

The ECU requires a voltage signal, with thresholds set for up and down shifting (ie voltage normally sits at 2.5V, but goes up or down depending on button presed. The shifter unit uses two digital signals, where each switch connects a pin on the shifter unit to ground.

Is it possible to send both of these signals from a single switch? The switch I have has contacts for both N/O and N/C, so I'm guessing I can do something whereby the analogue signal is changed by the N/C and the digital signal is completed by the N/O, but my knowledge of applying things this basic is limited.

At the risk of sounding lazy, can anyone make a quick circuit diagram to show how something like this can work?
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I'm sorry, but your project cannot be discussed on these Forums.

Discussion of "automotive modifications" are forbidden as per the Terms of Service, paragraph 6. There are just too many safety issues with novices attempting such mods.

Yours is a case in point; if there was a problem in the design, and the transmission downshifted rapidly several gears, it could cause the tire(s) to lock up and loss of control of the vehicle.
  3. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    Too true, and the suddenly over-revved engine might fail catastrophically. Anyone who has learned to drive on a manual (stick shift) transmission may have made this kind of foul-up. It's quite disconcerting, but at least in that situation you might get the clutch out again before any real harm was done. With a malfunctioning control system, you might be taken totally by surprise.
  4. bertus

Apr 5, 2008

I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
    • Automotive modifications
    • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
    • LEDs to mains
    • Phone jammers
    • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
    • Transformer-less power supplies
    This comes from our Tos:
    Terms of Service
    There will be enough sites where automotive questions can be discussed :
    Member selected automotive forums

Thread Status: