Extremely basic low voltage/LED processor question

Ephedrine

Joined Apr 22, 2014
First post, please tell me if this should be in a different forum.

I have a 5 year-old remote control for skylights where my contractor separated out the battery pack and the processor (with LED display). It's hooked up to a Crestron system.

The wires connecting the external battery pack to the processor popped out of the battery pack. Other end of the wires are still connected (soldered) to the processor.

When reconnecting the wires to the battery pack on my first attempt, I think I accidentally switched the hot and ground. When I flipped them back to the correct position, I still am not getting power to the LED display.

It's entirely possible that I just don't have good contact right now. My question is, when the hot & ground were reversed, if it's possible that could have ruined the processor. I have no experience with low voltage and if you can get the equivalent of a "short".

Thanks very much

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
yes reverse polarity "could" have damaged the circuits.

In general.. hot/ground are used to refer to AC voltages where battery/ground or -/+ are used to refer to DC voltages.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you're lucky, the processor may have used a fuse to protect itself. Replace the fuse and the board may be saved. Remember, I said "if".