External Voltage and Temp readings to Linux Comptuer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by imzack, Apr 20, 2015.

1. imzack

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 3, 2010
    I have a device that I would like to monitor its voltage in relation to its temp.

Is there any simple device that I can use to get both a temp and voltage reading to a linux PC?

I also want to control the thermal chamber via GPIB, any ideas on a good device?

I also want to toggle the device on and off... by somehow shorting a line to ground or letting it float high.

Since I want to accomplish these 4 things, is there a better solution then 2 DMM's a GPIB controller and some other device to toggle the unit on and off?

I look forward to what others have in mind.

Thanks!

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    One choice is a data acquisition device such as DATAQ or Labjack U3-HV. I have the latter and love it.

imzack likes this.
  3. imzack

Nov 3, 2010
    Does that work with linux?

4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    This place has some "lower" cost dataloggers too..
    http://www.mccdaq.com/index.aspx
    I've used their USB TC temperature logger without problems.. (except that they aren't isolated so you must ensure your temp probe is not attached to something metal carrying voltage.. kapton tape works great for isolation though)

5. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    You could also use a simple/cheap Arduino board..
    A few lines of code and you'd be up and running for under $20 or so..
    Just depends on what you need to measure and the physical requirements of the temp probe.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Yes, I'm virtually certain it will. Any program that can read and write files to disk can access the device over USB. The forums over there wold have more detail for you.

7. imzack

Nov 3, 2010
    Awesome!

Thank you soooo much for your responses!

This will help out greatly =)