Extending Servo Leads

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Depending upon system parameters the lead inductance may pose a problem -- That said; it won't cost you much to try it before 'moving on' to more sophisticated/expensive approaches:)

Best regards
HP

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
What is the PWM frequency?
What is the PWM amplitude?
What are the PWM minimum and maximum duty cycles or pulse widths?
What is the load impedance at the end of the long cable?
Is coax cable a viable option in your application and environment?
Is power available at the end of the long cable for a signal receiver circuit?

ak

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What is the PWM frequency?
What is the PWM amplitude?
What are the PWM minimum and maximum duty cycles or pulse widths?
What is the load impedance at the end of the long cable?
Is coax cable a viable option in your application and environment?
Is power available at the end of the long cable for a signal receiver circuit?

ak
All crucial questions is a definitive quantitative solution required --- Tho' I be lazy:oops: So I'd just try it - if it appears to work verification of waveforms/transient response should establish reliability... My $.02

Best regards
HP:)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I would also measure the voltage at the servo for the 4.6v minimum.
The frequency is fairly low at usually 300-400Hz.
Max.
The Turnigy servo tester signal repetition rate is almost certainly 50 Hz (i.e., 20 mS). The pulse width can be between about 1 mS and 2 mS, depending on the commanded position. The exact change from a center of 1.5 mS pulse width can vary by servo and can even be adjusted by the user with some set-ups.

John

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I read somewhere for analog servos the frequency is30-50 Hz, and for digital servos it is 300 to 400 Hz.

I haven't looked but I would assume that you can buy an extender the same place you bought the servo.
I have never seen one for 40m?
That is a 150ft drum of cable.
Max.

I read somewhere for analog servos the frequency is30-50 Hz, and for digital servos it is 300 to 400 Hz.

I have never seen one for 40m?
That is a 150ft drum of cable.
Max.
Of course it goes without saying (Re: digital systems) that transient time requirements determine the required bandwidth...

Best regards
HP

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Depending upon system parameters the lead inductance may pose a problem -- That said; it won't cost you much to try it before 'moving on' to more sophisticated/expensive approaches:)

Best regards
HP
Not just inductance - impedance could be an issue with that much cable, a mis match would probably cause ringing.

Just a guess - but I'm thinking twisted pair is probably the bare minimum to get at least some sort of predictability into the characteristic impedance.

Not just inductance - impedance could be an issue with that much cable, a mis match would probably cause ringing...
My reply assumed an analog selsyn/synchro arrangement wherein transmission line phenomena would be of negligible significance -- That said, I agree that a 'proper' transmission line presenting a predictable characteristic impedance is the only way to go where any bandwidth is required:)

Best regards
HP