Express Sch Connectors?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by spinnaker, Feb 13, 2010.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I am designing a PIC with LCD circuit. In the real world, the there will be a connector on the PIC PCB, which will connect to the LCD.

Express PCB has the ability to link the PCB to the schematic.

I would like to place the LCD in the PIC schematic but if I do that, things won't link up correctly.

What is the best way to do this? The only thing I can figure is to place the connector and not the LCD on the schematic.

Is this about the only way to do this?

2. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    If you have windows, you can use "Microsoft Paint" and paste your schematic in the program (without the LCD). Then, you could google a picture of the schematic symbol for your LCD and paste it in Paint as well; aligning everything up.

Austin

3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    Yes, unfortunately, unless you are mounting the LCD right on the PCB, I would suggest just placing the connector for the LCD. ExpressPCB's software is only designed for the basics, and only what you are actually placing on the PCB should be in the schematic.

4. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    Yeah it is a really nice product but it is lacking in some ways. One big pet peeve is not being able to globally change pad size of all of your components. That should be a lot easier than it is. But hey it is free! :)

5. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    You can actually design your PCB's in another program (like Eagle) and you can send them Gerber files for them to make your boards, I have done this in the past where it would have taken longer to design footprints for parts, etc. Atleast the company is more flexible than their software :)

But for simple, single or double sided PCB's their software comes in handy.....

6. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    I'll be rolling my own. I'm won't be turning out enough to warrant sending them out.

7. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    How do you handle other off-board components in your schematic/PCB link? I make a schematic with "all" components, and save it as version A. I then remove all off-board components and wires, and save it as version B. I link my PCB to the B version. Example attached. I don't get net list errors that way, and I have a complete schematic.

Or am I missing something?

Ken

8. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009

That was what he was referring to, was the fact you have to remove all off board components to link the schematic to the PCB.

9. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    You don't have to, you just don't add the off-board components to the PCB layout. You get a net list error when you link, but the "Highlight Net Connections" will work correctly. That is assuming you are putting "Wire connections" and connectors in the schematic and not just running from component junctions directly to the off-board components. I actually do that in a original version schematic, then add the wire connections in the A version. Maybe in large, complicated circuits it might get cumbersome, but I've never found it to be a big inconvenience. Especially for free. ;)

Ken

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  10. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    If you are not using ExpressPCB for production, and are etching your own, you can use many more powerful programs..Like eagle or FreePCB - free pcb for windows is very easy to use. It allows 16 layers, and it has a built in footprint engine and editor. And if you do want to send out for quantity, it exports to Gerber and Excellon. I like it. And i

11. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009

I thought Eagle was limited on the PCB size?

Does FreePCB link to a schematic editor? This is a nice feature of ExpressPCB.

12. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009