Explorer16 + Pickit2?

msr

Joined Jul 8, 2008
Hello,

Can I program PIM modules that came with Explorer16 board with Pickit2 programmer?

In the Explorer16 user guide its said:
Connector J14 provides the footprint for a 6-pin PICkit 2 programmer interface. This will
provide a third low-cost programming option, besides MPLAB ICD 2 and the JTAG
interface, when PICkit 2 support for larger devices become available in the future.

In the Pickit2 webpage its said that this programmer is able to program dsPIC33F uC's (in which Im interested to).

However Im trying to run this simple program (which is built successfuly) and I can'n see any LED on:

Rich (BB code):
#include <p33FJ256GP710.h>   

int main()   
  {   
      TRISA = 0;   
      PORTA = 0x0f;   

return 0;   
  }
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah it works fine. You just have to switch it around and use pin 6 on 1 and 1 on 6. MC had a misprint on the board. That may be why its not recognizing. Also I highly recommend flashing the onboard PIC18LF455 to a PICKIT2, That way you just plug the USB into the EXP 16 and it's recognized as a pickit 2. No need for a programmer at all. Just need to flash the PIC18 one time to turn it into a PICKIT2.

Also if your using the onboard LED's you must turn off JTAG in configuration. You can steal this code from other code examples or set it up in configuration bits in mplab. Once jtag is off, it will light up the LED's. Unfortunately they use the same pins.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hello,

Can I program PIM modules that came with Explorer16 board with Pickit2 programmer?

In the Explorer16 user guide its said:
Connector J14 provides the footprint for a 6-pin PICkit 2 programmer interface. This will
provide a third low-cost programming option, besides MPLAB ICD 2 and the JTAG
interface, when PICkit 2 support for larger devices become available in the future.

In the Pickit2 webpage its said that this programmer is able to program dsPIC33F uC's (in which Im interested to).

However Im trying to run this simple program (which is built successfuly) and I can'n see any LED on:

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Try this. Its what I'm using for PIC24 but should work.
Rich (BB code):
#include <p33FJ256GP710.h>   

_CONFIG1( JTAGEN_OFF) 

int main()   
  {   
      TRISA = 0;   
      PORTA = 0x0f;   

return 0;   
  }