exor output

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
hi everbody

consider i have two 100khz waves and there is phase differences between them. i would like to measure phase differences using exor. but how can i get voltage or analog value from output of exor.

thank you

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
. but how can i get voltage or analog value from output of exor.
The output of the XOR would be a variable duty cycle pulse depending upon the phase difference. You fed this into a simple RC filer and get back a DC voltage proportional to the pulse width.

The actual values of R and C time constant depends on how fast the two signal phases are moving.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Take a look at the CD4046 PLL IC.
(see datasheet).
That has two types of phase comparators in it.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
thank you bertus

i have cd4046 pll it is ok actually i havent tried yet. but i need diffenrence technics to get gc value. yes low pass filter is good idea and output of exor data cycle app. 10 -100 usn. so what do you think that time too much to give reasonable dc value ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Sorry but what is the gc value?
The 4046 has two phase comparators.
An EXOR and a kind of charge-pump.
How fast is the phase of the 100 kHz changing?

Greetings,
Bertus

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
how fast? you mean phase differences or delay time i didnt get. could you explain please
sorry it would be dc value
thank you

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
dc value or analog value ac maybe it shold be analog which is easy to get from output of exor of course it is digital but how can i convert to digital to analog. digital analog converter maybe you can suggest me ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Did you have a look at table 4 of the datasheet?

It shows the difference between the two comparators and use of RC filters.
The RC filter is needed to convert the phase info to DC.

Greetings,
Bertus

Attachments

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
so should i look at frequency capture range and loop filter component selection on table 4?
another question is that i will connected inputs which are measured and power for IC. do i need to connect vco or something like that? i just want to use exor.

thank you

matbymay

Joined Jul 14, 2009
thanks bertus you r very helpfull
so i can use c4030 ic for measure phase diff. and with low pass filter( with time constant ) i will get analog value

do you know any other technics to measure phase differences ?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

If you know the repetition time, in your case 1 / 100 kHz = 10 μS, there is the following method.
Start a counter with the up going signal from 1 and stop it with the upgoing signal from 2.
The time difference will be a measure of the phase difference.
The higher the frequqncy of the counter the more precize you can measure the phase.
If you take a frequency for the counter that is 360 times higher than the frequency of the phse signals the counter will give an anwer in degrees.

Greetings,
Bertus