Excluding certain file types from backup in Windows 7 ?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How do you freaking exclude certain file types form Windows backup in Windows 7 Home Premium? I have searched everywhere and this subject is not covered at all. Not even posts to say it is not possible. Can it be done? If so how?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Me too I would like to implement kind of a selective backup.

If I recall right, it is matter of your initial setup so in future incremental backups nothing out of the initially chosen is added.

For the moment I do not know how to do it. My 1Tbyte disk takes all every time.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
In Win7-64 pro its:
Control Panel->System and Security:Back up your computer->Change Settings (under Backup:Schedule)-> (Select where to save your backup) then NEXT->(What do you want to back up?) Select: Let me choose.

From there you can deselect drives, folders, libraries etc. As far as specific types, don't know. I back up my important data with a DOS batch file that figures all of that out.

Good luck.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes you have the choice for let me choose but it does not look like there is a way to exclude file types.

For example: I want to back up everything under the e:\data directory except fpr PCH files. I don't want to have to manually deselect every pch file under the data directory.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
If you are so inclined, open a CMD box and type help xcopy. You can exclude folders / extensions etc. using xcopy to your backup. Here's an example:

Rich (BB code):
@echo off
cls
echo ========================  BACKUP M:  ====================================
echo.
echo Ready to back up M drive to BAK_M. This will OVERWRITE read-only files!!
pause
echo.
echo Copying files.. 
cd\bak_m
xcopy m:\*.* \bak_m\*.* /d/s/y/c/f/R
cd\
echo.
echo DONE!
pause
Depending on what you want to do, you can add more stuff, folder specs etc. including a /EXCLUDE. Name it backup.BAT or whatever then just type backup and away it goes.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
as far as i know thats not posible using windows backup at lesat in client versions, but server 08 is suposed to do that. i'd reomend a freware program instead to do backups where you want to do exclusions. i know this is not exactly a "backup program", but sync toy will allow you to do that and setup how the copy happens. and any changes of files are automatily made to the destination withou windows asking keep old or new version. this program is from microsft available as freeware. i'm sure their are other programs made for backups like that, but don't know of any.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-backup-program they have a few backup programs. the only one i have ever hered anything about is toucan. their are a few others that i have been beening to try but don't know alot about like teracopy, always sync that should handle backup also.
also loog at HDDguru.com they should have something.
depending on the type of backup you want to do maybey try serching google for "free diskimaging program or free gohst software.