Excessively brief first posts

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Giving a bad thread as a counter example wouldn't work, as I see it. If someone can point out the flaws in a help request, he is knowledgeable enough not to make them.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Of course: here is the one that started me off this evening: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=64480

I will admit to having seen worse, and on a closer look it's obviously by a non-native English speaker. I understand the difficulty of using a foreign language too, but why must it be this abbreviated?
Yup, that one threw me, too. It's almost impossible to know what the OP wanted, especially when he refuses to respond!

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
I understand what you are trying to achieve but I wonder if this will end up a situation of "trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

I'm happy to go along with the idea but I suspect it will end up giving rise to another unforeseen frustration. Take the matter of submitting some attempted working with homework questions - how many first-time posters actually comply with that requirement? A small fraction I think.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Take the matter of submitting some attempted working with homework questions - how many first-time posters actually comply with that requirement? A small fraction I think.
I agree, a small fraction. I bet the fraction would match nicely with the fraction of first time posters who read the stickies before posting. The stickies don't jump out, slap you in the face, and make you read them before posting; this would. maybe there could even be a visible countdown timer on it, so they can't just "next" past the message without giving ample time to read it. The requirement for showing work in the homework section could be added to the list.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
LOL.

For the very first post it might be a good idea to increase the minimum number of words.
Poor guy who just wants too ask: What is this component? (and then he posts a picture) :)
You can get around the limit by posting spaces.

Or changing the font to white and typing a load of aaaaaaaaaaaaa'.