excel sin waves

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
to increment

insert values in A column

4, highlight this values,

(make a little black box and blue highlight inside, no ctrl or shift or anything just highlight)

then go to the bottom right hand corner of the highlighted box. the cursor should turn into a cross. left click and drag down. press nothing but left click. this will increment in whatever steps you have chosen with the values.

so now I have a lot of numbers, I have entered my formula,
=(vmax*SIN(2*PI()*frequency*A368))

now I have to graph it using scatter.
You need values for vmax and frequency. Put this formula in cell B1, then click the corner and drag the box down to the end of the values in columa A. All the cells should show the value for the formula with the corresponding value from column A substituted for "A___"

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
I got the result for the first lot of waves. I have to adjust them a little as I didn't work out the peak values for the harmonics so it looks a little lop sided.
would it be right to say that if the fifth harmonic is lagging 70 degrees, then the other waveforms are lagging 70 degrees also. I cant think there would be anything that could cause the fifth harmonic to lag without the others. as the fundamental frequency would set the shape and phase for all the others.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Each harmonic has a lead/lag relative to the fundamental that has no generic relationship to those for the other harmonics.

ninjaman

Joined May 18, 2013
would I be right in thinking that if I wanted to add the waveforms together to get the complex waveform I would use the formula

(4/pi) * 100v + (4/pi) * 33v + (4/pi) * 20v = 193v approximately

when I tried this in excel I got an answer less than 100v, the waveform looked right though.

I had the time in the first column, the second column to fourth were the fundamental, 3rd harmonic and fifth harmonic waveforms. so I added the second third and forth columns then =B4+C4+D4*(4/pi) and copied this down to every cell in the fifth column.

I don't know how to use ltspice yet. does anyone know how to get the programming bit up?
on the page for square wave signals there is a bit about putting values into ltspice. does anyone know how to get this up? I would like to add my values using that formula to see what the result is?

thanks

all the best
simon

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
---Quote (Originally by WBahn)---
That's exactly what you said in your EDITED version, not what you said in the version that was there when I made my post.
---End Quote---

I encourage you to compare my edited version to what was quoted in your post. Might help if you slow down a little.
Oh, for Pete's sake. Fine. I'll do as you ask. Let's compare them.

First, there was this:

this is really irritating me now.
I have tried to enter values starting a 1 and increasing to 1000
then I try to highlight by clicking the bottom right of the rectangle over 1. I have tried ctrl and left dragging down, I have tried using shift instead of ctrl but I cant get them to copy down.
I want to go to 1000 as mentioned by the poster above, so the numbers would start at 1 and finish at 1000
anyone know how to do this. I have searched and found autofill but im doing something wrong as it wont work.
thanks
simon
To which you responded:

Just ckick and drag. You don't need ctrl.
I responded to the first cell, having not yet seen or post above, with:

I haven't figured out how to force it to do what I want (literal copy or increment) from a single cell. I just know that it will almost always do the opposite of what I want to prove that it is good at telling what I really meant.

But if you put values in TWO cells and then highlight BOTH cells and copy them down it seems to do the right thing almost all the time.
I then saw your post and responded:

Just ckick and drag. You don't need ctrl.
You do if it decides you just want to copy the values.
You then posted:

Please see my edited version. If you click the corner, you don't need ctrl.
Your edited version being:

Enter a couple numbers in a column, say 1 and 2. Highlight the cells when the numbers and then click the low right corner, hold the mouse button and drag. You don't need to use ctrl.
In your original version, you said nothing about multiple cells. I pointed out that it won't always work if you just click and drag. That sometimes you DO need to use control. In your EDITED version is where you mention filling in two cells.

In response to this post, I pointed out for completeness a wrinkle that happens if you use MORE than two cells. Note that your post most definitely had NOTHING to do with the case of MORE than two cells.

If you enter numbers into more than two rows and highlight them and copy-extend them down, the results become erratic unless the numbers in the highlighted cells have a uniform differential between them.

But if you use the CTL key in this case, then it will make copies of the range of cells, which can be quite useful at times.
To which you responded:

If you enter numbers into more than two rows and highlight them and copy-extend them down, the results become erratic unless the numbers in the highlighted cells have a uniform differential between them.That's the whole idea.
That's exactly what I said.

Originally Posted by Brownout
Enter a couple numbers in a column, say 1 and 2. Highlight the cells when the numbers and then click the low right corner, hold the mouse button and drag. You don't need to use ctrl.
This works for me every time.
Pray tell, How that is exactly what you said? I'm talking about MORE than two rows, and even in in your edited version you are talking about exactly two rows.

But, fine. You said exactly what I said and you said it first. I clearly misread that when you said "Enter a couple numbers in a column" that this also included the case of MORE than two columns, since "a couple" always means "two or more". And I also clearly misunderstood that by saying, "say 1 and 2," you were just giving an example for the case of two rows, but that you were obviously stating that, with more than two rows selected, that the rows have to have a uniform differential between them. I also somehow missed the obvious implication that if you don't adhere to everything that is implied by, "say 1 and 2," that the result will be erratic.

My mistake. I didn't realize how to properly read your post and so it was I that duplicated the information that you had so cogently put out previously.

My apologies.

Can we drop it, now?