Exam Revision help.

skillz

Joined Mar 16, 2008
hi,

im wondering if anyone can help me with a revision problem i have...

I understand the difference between
synchronus = everything happens in time with the clock.
Asynchronus = is it happens in time with the inputs.

Therefore i need to create an Asynchronous circuit that have 2 inputs
O(oscilation) and G(gate)
and one output Z.

O which is normaly low recieves a series of variable frequency and variable length (TTL pulses) which, under the control of G, are to be copied as accuratley as possible in length to the normaly low output of Z

i need to do this using SR flip-flops and standard gates that meets the specification for a gated clock circuit.

Thanks in advance for any help.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Apply G (high) to one input of a dual input AND gate. Looks like the output will then follow O pretty faithfully.

Am I missing something?

skillz

Joined Mar 16, 2008
Apply G (high) to one input of a dual input AND gate. Looks like the output will then follow O pretty faithfully.
so draw out the circuit i would have something like an

AND2 gate leading into a SRflip-flop

But surely thats not sufficient to represent a gated clock circuit?

Am I missing something?
if O is high when G is asserted then Z does not first go high until the beginning of the next input pulse

each assertion of G must result in two pulses copied to Z

And finally an assertion of G is not active if it occurs before the output is complete from the previous active assertion

Therefore how would the circuit diagram for that look like?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That was not implicit in your first post - "Therefore i need to create an Asynchronous circuit that have 2 inputs
and one output Z"

An AND gate satisfies those conditions.

Can you post up a truth table? That will help in figuring out what needs to happen.

skillz

Joined Mar 16, 2008
SR flip flop

S R Action
0 0 Restricted
0 1 Q = 0
1 0 Q+ = 1
1 1 keepstate

hope this enough to make sense?

also:

S R Q+
0 0 Keep state
0 1 0
1 0 1
1 1 Avoid

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Those are truth tables for S-R flip-flops. It would be helpful to have you explainwhy the Z output can't be the output of an AND gate. What purpose do the flip-flops serve? How is it that each assertion of G must have two pulses to Z? If Z is not an output of a gate, what is it?

Your assertion - "Therefore i need to create an Asynchronous circuit that have 2 inputs
and one output Z" does not involve anything more than one standard gate to be mechanized.